What part of your job do you find the "fun" part?

Asked El Paso, Texas

Amanda’s Answer

Updated Portland, Oregon

I work in People Operations (Human Resources) and most of my day is spent at my desk working at a computer (or in meetings with other people). I think the most "fun" part of my job is when I get to use my creativity to solve problems and improve processes. I like to think that there is always a better way to do something, so using my brainpower and experience to come up with new ideas is really fun for me.

For example, I used to be responsible for drafting offer letters for new employees. The recruiters would send me an email with the information for the letter (such as the name, title and compensation), but sometimes the recruiter would forget to include important details that was needed for the letter (such as the work location or the name of the manager). We would email back and forth until I had all the information required. This took a lot of time and I thought there might be a better way. I brainstormed and did some research and ended up creating an online form that had a field for each piece of information I needed for the letter. I asked the recruiters to use the form instead of sending me an email. It instantly helped streamline the offer letter drafting process and I could see the results of my work very quickly (it also freed up some time so I could work on other things I found interesting).

Edward’s Answer

Hey Zach!

Thanks for your question! What I consider fun in my job is being to interact with many important and key people in my organization, solve interesting business problems, and learn about different business models!

Thanks!

Kerri LO’s Answer

Updated Tampa, Florida

Hi, I am a public accountant and the "fun" part of the job is taking a mental break from the job, especially with my co-worker. For example, we take walks together and play foosball during our downtime. On the job, it's meeting new and interesting clients and learning about their business, and saving them money.

Adelle’s Answer

Updated Gloversville, New York

Hi Zach! I am a Manager of a Project Management Team, and my favorite part is mentoring those that work for me. With 25 years of experience, I love to share best practices with my team. On the flip side, I still love the learning aspect. I am continually reaching out to learn something new every day, whether it be in a training class or from a co-worker who has a talent that I don't currently have.

Adelle recommends the following next steps:

• Always take the opportunity to learn something new
  • Share your knowledge with others

Andrew’s Answer

Updated Tampa, Florida

Hey Zach,

What I find most fun about my job is the opportunity to challenge myself and learn something new everyday. I currently do research and development for a project. It helps me build myself as an individual and makes me a better job prospect in my field as I am constantly learning something new about my career.

Yuji’s Answer

Updated Japan

Interacting with colleagues globally. That will also bring you the cultures of you colleagues and peers all over the world.