3 answers

What education do i need?

What college degree is needed if I wanted to go into #education #teach #teaching #college #educator

*Admin note: tags were updated in this question to be more specific to Student's question and the audience

3 answers

Sean’s Answer

Updated Katy, Texas

Each state has their own rules and regulations for becoming a teacher and what degrees you might need.

Some states you need a masters to teach in education and others like mine they legally can't offer degrees in "education". Some old statute from the mid 1900's, I remember my professor talking to me about it but for the life of me I can't find the actual law regarding it. Anyways, most people in my state get an interdisciplinary degree or a degree in applied learning. Which are just fancy terms for Education, or the get some other degree in a specialized area and minor in education. Which doesn't seem to conflict with the previously mentioned statute.

From looking online at the requirements for becoming a public school teacher in your state you just need a degree and certifications to teach. So basically any degree would work just depending on what you want teach. You can go the route of Interdisciplinary Studies with a focus on education, you can go for an actual Bachelors in Education if your state offers it, or if you want to be a math teacher get a Math degree in minor in Education.

The crucial thing is that you have a degree from an institution of higher education and a certification that says you can teach. And that is it.

What kind of degree you will get doesn't really matter, I have a B.A. in Communications. What matters is the certifications, I have certifications in History, Theatre, and Special Education and not one of those things was related to my degree in college.

Good Luck.

Lakshmi’s Answer

Updated Hyderabad, Telangana, India

Hi there,


You can go with any college degree with specialised subject like Math, social sciences, sciences (physics, chemistry, biology) etc. Mostly institutions prefer BA in any specialised subject. After undergraduation you have to get a teaching certification from any of the state which you wanted to work for. Here are some best institutions for masters program for teaching and administration.

  • University of Pennsylvania.
  • Stanford University.
  • University of California--Los Angeles.
  • University of Wisconsin--Madison.
  • Vanderbilt University (Peabody)
  • Johns Hopkins University.
  • New York University (Steinhardt)
  • Teachers College, Columbia University

Wish you all the best for all your future endeavours 🙂 god bless you.


Lakshmi Narayana

Tammy’s Answer

What Education do you want to study?