What degree do you need to be a photographer ?

6

Misty’s Answer

Hi Alyssa.

You do not necessarily need a degree to become a photographer. I myself have a degree in Nursing and a Bachelors in Psychology however I have been doing Photography for the better part of 15 years now and am self taught in photography as well as editing. I have quite a few friends who started the same way, just finding a camera they loved and learning all there is to learn. Each photographer is going to have their own style so there really is not anything that needs to be taught there. It is just like any other art form in that it is in the eye of the artist of how they want the final to turn out. I will say there are a few online classes you can take to learn camera and light tricks and posing and things like that. If you are looking to do this as a profession and open your own studio, then I would say you would need a degree in business management to at least be able to manage your business but if you are going to do it as a hobby, there is no degree involved unless you wanted to be an art major.

1

Rahul’s Answer

You do not need any formal qualifications to become a photographer but a good eye, creativity and technical ability are essential. You can study courses at college or university to gain photography skills. Most professional photographers have taken a college or university course to develop their skills.

To get on to a photography-related degree or higher education course, you will usually need five GCSEs (A-C) including maths and English and two/three A levels including one in art, design or media. Check with universities.

Alternatively, you could do a level 3 vocational course in art and design, or photography .

0

Pramod’s Answer

Hi Alyssa,

Mostly high school diploma or equivalent, though many photographers complete relevant post secondary coursework or hold a degree. Some courses are Photojournalism, Advertising Photography, Photographic Sciences. Thanks

0

Magesh’s Answer

Bachelor of Arts in Photography also Bachelor of Fine Arts in Photography, is typically a four-year program

0