Being from Mumbai, I think I have little more context about IT vs computer engineering courses there. I did my computer science engineering from VJTI, Mumbai. During my time there, this what I found:
- Few courses (<6) would be different. Some of them are important but you can easily make up for them by doing online courses during vacation.
- Usually computer science has higher cut off than IT, I would suggest to get admission into IT in better college than computer science in some not-so-popular college. During placements in 4th year, companies treat both equally. And some of the companies only go to the good colleges as you know.
- Don't rely on only curriculum only to become a good software engineer.
- During first year focus on mastering c and c++. If you are in Mumbai, try to find good coaching class for these subjects.
- Refer to reference books for computer/IT subjects, DON'T read techmax for these subjects. You can read those for irrelevant subjects (related to civil, mechanical etc., there will be few of them mainly during first year)
- During second year, master algorithms and data structures (these are the MOST important subjects to become good programmer, during placements this is what mostly asked).
- Also starting second year, start practicing coding on sites like TOPCODER, codechef, leetcode etc. These might seem difficult initially, but practice makes you better at it, don't give up, start with easy question and then slowly move to medium. Do this until 4th year or until you feel passionate about it (I still do it :) after 7 years of engineering).
- There are some other subjects like database, operating systems, computer networks during 3rd and 4th year which are important, don't rely on only college teachers to get your concepts cleared, get help from internet: online courses, blogs, wikipedia, there are tons of resources.
- Try to develop your own small projects (like android apps, some dummy websites, machine learning model etc.) during 2nd and 3rd years.
All the best for your journey. If you need any help, don't hesitate to contact me.