What parts are most challenging about being a psychologist?

1
1

Jeanne’s Answer

0

Hi Cloe,

For me, the most challenging part was the education because it took a long time (4 yrs for Bachelor's degree, 4 yrs for 2 different Master's degrees and then 7 yrs for PhD) You don't need two Master's degrees, I just did it that way. But along the way, I learned so much about people, science, and different forms of therapy that it was fun and absolutely worth it.

Some people worry it will be too much for them emotionally to listen to other people's problems, but all along the education path, you'll learn how to take care of yourself and separate yourself from the issues you will hear about.

I think working for an agency can be challenging because there are often requirements that you see a certain number of patients every week, but as long as you take care of yourself and keep all your record keeping up to date, that doesn't have to be a problem.

I work in private practice and I love what I do.

Jeanne recommends the following next steps:

• Look up your state's "Board of Psychology" to see what the education process is.
  • Go to PsychologyToday.com and look up psychologists in your local area. See if you can make an appointment for an information interview to ask them about their work.
0