are there opportunities for self-employment in your field? Where?

2

I’m a senior at Brennan high school in San Antonio that’s looking for insight on forensic psychology. I wanna be able to work closely with crime and really figure out how someone’s mind works.
#psychology #career

2

Denise’s Answer

3

I love that you are interested in forensic psychology. That was/is my main area of interest. I received great advice though to get a "general" degree. I got my doctorate in clinical psychology so that way my education is broad. However, my practicum and internships (there are several) focused on forensics. I worked in adult and juvenile prisons. There's a lot you can do... assessments, therapy, trial consulting, working with victims to recover from crimes, etc. Travel can occur if you choose to do things that have you going to court (most people avoid this, some people love it). Business meetings at night are rare unless you choose, but if you're treating offenders (example substance abuse groups) you will likely do some at night. Hope this helps. It's not all Silence of the Lambs, but it's very rewarding.

I agree with Denise completely and want to add that there are now graduate programs with Masters vs Doctorate degrees. Doctorates are a huge undertaking and very expensive. Masters degrees will take about half the time and money. You would also find more of these degrees in state universities, and tuition will be much cheaper. Private practice takes time to build up so most practitioners work full time elsewhere to have an income and develop as many clinical skills as possible. Try to find your clinical internship at an agency where not only is general practice offered but the forensic work is there for you to learn with your supervisor mentoring you. I Jacqueline Elder
3

0
Being self-employed and in the forensics field would be a tricky play.. You would need to establish yourself within the industry and really make a name for yourself. From there, you would have to open you own business and then contract yourself out to local police departments, state departments, and federal entities.
0