Besides College, what can I do right now that will teach me how to be a video game designer?

3

I plan on going to college for this and I also watch youtube videos about anything related to this job. I have tried to connect with professionals but have had no success yet with that. I am dedicated and I am smart, and I want nothing more than to work on video games and pour all of my creativity and time into it. #video-games #video-game-design #game-design #college #computer-games

3

Nisha’s Answer

0

Hi Ethan,

You can take courses in high school or online that will teach you concepts that are important to video game design, such as Video Production and Animation. Adobe's website has a lot of free tutorials on how to use their creative suite, but their Creative Cloud software is not free. If your parents are willing to purchase a subscription for you, then use as many free online resources that you can find to self-teach yourself. Developing a portfolio of your work will be of critical importance for standing out as a desirable candidate, so start working on it.

I work in the IT field and a lot of time we have to seek out all of that free knowledge that is sitting out there on the Internet to educate ourselves and further develop our skills so that we remain marketable and in demand.

https://www.gamedesigning.org/become-a-game-designer/

Thank you, I appreciate your advice. I wasn't confident I would receive an answer so this was a pleasant surprise. I will for sure look into this, using my own means to figure it all out. (My parents aren't in the picture :) ) Have a great day! Ethan S. Translate
0

Shane’s Answer

0

Hi Ethan,

Adding to Nisha’s answer you can also check out Udemy or skillshare. Both have been great resources for me in the past. In regards to connecting with professionals, I would start working on an early portfolio to figure out the areas you are really interested in video game design (combat, world design, AI, etc.). Professionals in the industry are more inclined to give feedback and connect if they can actually see what you are passionate in. Networking is hugely important in landing a job in the video gaming industry.

I would also start looking at companies you are interested in working for in the future and see what they are looking for in designers. Looking at job boards can help mold what you study and focus on in college and your personal time.

Lastly play games and keep up on the newest tech. I have always been able to tell people that want to work on games but don't actually play games and to me the ones that still keep up on the gaming industry always have a leg up on the ones that don't.

Hopefully that helps. Please keep in contact once you start to lock in on your passion and start to create a portfolio. I will do my best to connect you to some of the designers that I know to get you more information.

0

Peter’s Answer

0

Ethan, I'd suggest putting together your own learning path. I'd start with looking at degree requirements at a school of your choice offering said degree. You can see if those classes are offered on MOOC sites like Coursera or EDX. Many times course books are listed as well as suggested readings. Dive into what interests you and I think overtime you'll have developed an understanding and skillset unique to you that you can leverage into your dream job/company.

0