If I’m interested in a college that wants me and I sign to be with them but another college wants me can I switch to the college

4
4

Dave’s Answer

0
I'm not sure whether you mean just signing a registration form or a National Letter Of Intent. If you mean just registering or sending a housing deposit or something, you can pretty easily withdraw your acceptance of admission and depending on whether it's after May or June you might lose a deposit (or part of one). It happens all the time, and while colleges don't love it, obviously, it's NOT a big deal and they won't hold it against you.

If you are talking about changing your mind after signing a National Letter of Intent to play in NCAA D1 or D2 or an institutional letter of intent in the NAIA, then that is a little bit more formal. The NLI binds you to that school and is respected by all NCAA members, so you can switch to an NAIA school without any further steps, but to transfer to another NCAA institution, you need to get a signed release from your initial school. 99% of the time it's just an uncomfortable phone call, but they CAN refuse to sign...

If you signed an NAIA letter of intent, it's not worth the paper it's printed on and you can ignore it, although some NAIA conferences agree to respect each others commitments, which means you need a signed release to switch to another school in the same conference...

If you want more guidance, feel free to sign up for a FREE appointment at https://collegeathleticadvisor.com/
0

Elizabeth’s Answer

0
If you switch well in advance of the beginning of your first semester. If you paid a deposit to the first college you will not get a refund in most cases.
0

Lia’s Answer

0
If you are still in the admission cycle and have not committed to a school you are free to change your mind as many times as you want. Once the registration deadline closes and you have registered and committed to a school it is still technically possible to switch but it becomes a little more difficult. You would need to work closely with admissions at both schools
0

Jason’s Answer

0
Technically, you can. It won't be easy though, and you definitely will want to discuss your decision with the admissions office of the college that you've signed with. There's a lot of factors to consider, such as- how sure you are that you want to switch, how early it is in the admissions cycle, as well as whether your agreement has a stated policy around if you change your mind. These can affect the negative consequences of switching, such as your reputation. So the sooner you decide you want to switch, and reach out to the admissions office, the more options you will have.

Jason recommends the following next steps:

• A brief guide on some ways to switch https://www.wikihow.com/Decline-Admission-to-a-College-After-Accepting
0