Skip to main content
4 answers
4
Asked 350 views Translate

what schools should I go to so I can get recognized in my acting career

I'm trynna be famous
#acting #fame #film-acting #actors

Thank you comment icon Howard University fine arts program. Min. Leslie Green

+25 Karma if successful
From: You
To: Friend
Subject: Career question for you

4

4 answers


0
Updated Translate

Babs’s Answer

Hay, great question!

So you want to look at schools that have produced alumni’s that are acting today or have retired and left a massive impact towards society. So do some research on the schools you may be looking into and find out who their alumni are.

Eg. Issa Rae - who has a show called Insecure on HBO is an alumni at the New York Film Academy.

So that’s always a plus to mention when talking about the school you’re about to enroll or graduated from.
That a Star had also attended the same school.

So look up your favorite actors and writers and find out where they went to school.
0
0
Updated Translate

Leslie’s Answer

Hi,

I'm a working actor in New York.

To answer your question....go to a school that has a success rate. It doesn't have to be well-known or expensive, but it has to be connected. You need a school that supports its students by providing opportunities to be seen by Casting Directors or Agents.

I didn't graduate with a degree in theater but I managed to attend a school that provided me the opportunity to meet my first commercial agent. That meeting gave me the ability to freelance with this agent who sent me out for several auditions. Eventually, it landed me a a role in a movie.

Best,
Les
0
0
Updated Translate

Donn’s Answer

My first question to you is why do you want to be famous? Is it because you believe people who are "famous" seem more important? Is it because they appear to live better lives because they have more material comforts? The reason I ask this question is because answering this question will help you figure out what you value and perhaps why you have those particular values usually based on your life experiences.

It's not that I blame or criticize you for having this desire, as our culture has projected a glamorous image of the lifestyles of the rich and famous as being the ultimate goal all should aspire to. But the truth is that it is in fact just a projection; people with money and fame are humans like everyone else with their emotional pains and psychological traumas to deal with or not deal with, their life challenges they must overcome to find meaning and joy and their lives because their money and fame do not give them those things.

Additionally, only 2% of all actors are rich and famous; the other 98% may or may not have other jobs to support themselves and their families. They do it for the love of the art form, for the passion they have for creating characters and telling stories. It is that love and passion that sustain them when things are not easy and it becomes a challenge to juggle other responsibilities like jobs and family with their passion. If they did not have that passion, it would not be worth all that struggle.

If you are serious about wanting to be an actor, let that inspire you to take an acting class. Choosing a class should be more about how well you connect with the acting coach or faculty of a school or program than whether or not any famous people went to that class or school. Almost none of the people you will find in an acting class or school are there to get famous. They are there to learn the craft of acting because they love it.

I wish you well on your journey!


Hopefully this answer is more acceptable.

Best,
0
0
Updated Translate

Vasvi’s Answer

No matter what acting school you go to, its not always a surety that you'll get recognized in your acting career because of it. What really takes you a long way through your career of acting are your skills and talents. Natalie portman is the biggest example of this because she did not go to any acting school but just look at where she is today. Even if you go to one of the best acting school such as nyfa ( New York film academy), still there's a chance of it not taking you to a global nomination and perhaps not even getting you recognised as a great actor. So what you need is not a great school but a great skill set in your career of acting.
I'm also an aspiring actress and if you really wanna work on your acting, i think you should begin with practicing monologues.
0