What are some early roles you were in before becoming a physical therapist?

4

I want to start studying Rehabilitation Technician. And I'm interested in #physical-therapist #physical-therapy #therapy #occupational-therapy

4

Kate’s Answer

3
Hello Luz -

My mom and a few friends are PTs. I can say they all had different paths. My mom studied pre-med and discovered PT while on a summer job in a lab in a hospital. My other friend was a coach for a college sports team and then went into PT. Another friend worked for the the government working on electrification in developing countries before going back to get her pre-reqs to become a PT.

The one thing they all had in common was a passion for science. That was key. There jobs were all quite different, but having an interest in biology, chemistry and anatomy really helped them go on this path.

Hope that helps!
Kate
3

Susie’s Answer

2
If you are interested in pediatric physical therapy, some jobs that might be helpful now include: babysitting children of all ages and abilities, respite care for children and/or adults with special needs, camp counselor at a camp or park district program for people with special needs, teaching dance, assisting at a hippotherapy or horseback riding program, and teaching swimming lessons to children. Anything where you are interacting with children and their parents in a professional capacity. Learning a new language in your spare time is helpful, too. In Chicago, the best second languages to have are Spanish, Polish, Arabic, and American Sign Language. I had many jobs prior to and during PT school and all helped me become a better worker and a better person: dishwasher, lawn care worker, chemistry lab assistant, babysitter, house cleaner, bartender, line cook at a shelter, TCBY yogurt worker, bagger & stocker at Jewel.... so many! But the jobs above would be more specific to working with children as a pediatric PT. But all jobs are worthwhile and teach valuable lessons! Good luck!!
2

Rodolfo’s Answer

1
People skills. Communication skills. Honesty. Sincerity. Caring for other people’s well being. If you want to make money, pursue finance or something else because I’ve seen people come to work just for the paycheck.
1

Marie’s Answer

1
Before I was accepted into PT school, I worked as an aide at several locations.. before I actually pursued a career in PT I was strongly considering education, by being a biology or science teacher! PT is strongly related to this career because therapists are CONSTANTLY educating others about science, movement, exercise and even other medical professionals about what we do and how to make people move, work, and play better!
1