3
Updated 1286 views

Where is the best place to practice Diagnostic Medical Sonography? Hospital, Doctor's Office, Clinic, etc?

I am pursuing a career in Diagnostic Medical Sonography and beginning my classes in the fall. #ultrasound #sonographer #medicine #healthcare #career #career-counseling

3

0

Ryan’s Answer

Great question Briana. As you go from the lectures/studying to more hands on clinical experience in the course of your training you will see some of the possibilities and have an opportunity to speak with professionals in the field. Your interests should guide you, and your expertise will be in high demand. In my line of work, vascular sonographers are highly ought out in both hospitals and outpatient clinic/procedure facilities. Your own interest, the people, and the expectations of the job will guide you to find a good fit for you. Best of luck with your training!
0
0

Alexis’s Answer

Hi Briana,

I'm so glad you asked this question!

My major in college was Interdisciplinary Studies: Communication and Pre-Diagnostic Medical Sonography. Meaning, I got the pre-reqs I needed to go to a DMS masters school if I chose to. I decided DMS wasn't the path I wanted to take, BUT I think it's an AMAZING career and I think you will really love it.

My suggestion to you is to go do some job shadowing. People love to show you what they do for a living AND job shadowing looks really great on job applications (some even require it). I would suggest job shadowing people in all those locations you mentioned and ask them what they think about it vs the other locations.

What I found out was that hospital work usually pays more but can have some crazy and/or demanding hours, while clinic/doctor's office jobs are normally harder to land and pay a little less but have easy hours and are great for family life.

Alexis recommends the following next steps:

Research what sonographers are in your area and then reach out to them asking if you can job shadow.
Show up for the job shadow and act professionally (these people might help you get a job one day). Enjoy the experience and ask questions about their career!
Also research what type of sonography you enjoy. Often times you have to choose between cardio and abdominal. Both are great positions but can be very different experiences.
0