Jennifer N.’s Avatar

Jennifer N.

136

2

Is student debt avoidable?

Im really poor and I dont want to be a further burden on my family :( #finance #money #debt

In many cases, yes. There are plenty of scholarships out there for demographic, merit or functional recipients. I got a few scholarships but not near enough to cover the whole cost of tuition. I also worked nearly full time every year in college, while participating in ROTC. In fact, if military service is an option for you, then you could consider doing that while being a student in college and commissioning upon graduation as an officer in the military. Your obligation to serve is between 4-8 years, so you could finish your service and have a great record and resume to present to future employers. And, you'd have avoided almost all debt. Good luck!

Last updated May 09 '16 at 02:59 PM

Hi Jennifer-

There are a huge amount of private scholarships available as well as financial aid at certain universities. Unfortunately, trying to figure out which scholarships to apply for can be very overwhelming. I am not an expert but would recommend a few things.

1) Start doing some research online on where to find scholarships and how they work...perhaps starting with a few listed in this article http://college.usatoday.com/2012/01/30/the-10-best-sites-to-look-for-scholarships/

2) Find a few colleges that you are interested in attending and ask them about scholarship and financial aid information

Just remember that it may seem like information overload at first, but the research and time spent applying for scholarships could save you a lot of money in the future.

Last updated May 08 '16 at 07:41 PM

Hi Jennifer,

Try not to be afraid of debts. America is built on debt the main thing is get smart at it. Apply for scholarships or grants it will help. Take classes about how to manage your debt for example Suzan Orman or Dave Ramsey and others. Increase your knowledge about debt and do not think you will become a burden to your family.

Remember family will have your back not friends.

Good luck - do not let the word "poor" control your future you could change your future outcome.

Last updated May 11 '16 at 06:46 PM

I am going to be optimistic and say yes. As you could tell, the country is coming upon the presidential election and a couple of candidates are promising to make public university/colleges free. I can't tell you when that is going to happen, but I hope it would be before you graduate highschool. What you need you to do right now is research the presidential candidates and ask your parents to vote for the one you find best ;)

Last updated May 07 '16 at 06:02 PM

Then you should be able to hopefully get grants which you do not have to pay back. Those are primarily given out by most public and private colleges based on income and they are not to be paid back like a subsidized or unsubsidized loan.

Last updated May 08 '16 at 01:44 AM

I agree student debt is avoidable. Be sure to apply FAFSA as soon as possible. In addition, a good way to avoid debt is by attending Community College first, and then transferring into a 4-year University. That way, you will be to earn an undergraduate degree, without sustaining large debt.

Last updated May 11 '16 at 04:59 PM