If I'm considering working towards going to medical school, how do I figure out which kind of doctor I want to be?

I'm in high school hoping to go into either a health or law profession after college. I am currently undecided about which university I want to go to and what my major will be. #medicine

4

I would suggest shadowing physicians in fields that you are interested in. I would also suggest an internship or job in a healthcare related field during the summer. No doubt you will need to excel in your classes, but real life experience is always valuable.

0

Estelle’s Answer

I agree with these guys, Harry. Shadowing is the way to go. Also, some of the clinics in which I volunteer have internship spots for high school and college students to serve as scribes for the providers. This gives you a great idea of the practice of medicine and familiarizes you with the vocabulary.

0

Dennis’s Answer

If you're serious about medical school, you should have the following: Strong grades, especially in science courses. The average GPA for students accepted into medical school is 3.7. ... The average MCAT score for test-takers is 506, but the average MCAT score of accepted medical students is 511. After that select a field your think you will be comfortable in and excel!

0

Volunteer or get a job at your local hospital. You could also try to shadow physicians from various specialties. Another option is trying to get a research position with a medical school.

You will have time during medical school rotations to see the pros and cons of each specialty.

0