Is it better to choose a career path that is stable and well paying or to choose a path that is has a higher possibility of failure but also more reward?

I have the chance to enter a program where once completed, I am guaranteed a job with a six figure starting salary. However, it is not a job that I would be satisfied doing for the rest of my life. The job I actually want is riskier and requires a ton more effort and grit to acquire. Is it worth the risk, or will I learn to be ok with the safer option #financial-planning #personal-development

2

Kevin’s Answer

Hey Julia,

Ultimately, this decision should be made by yourself and not influenced by other people!

Just some thoughts from my side:
"However, it is not a job that I would be satisfied doing for the rest of my life."

If you can't walk in every day being happy, why would you do it?

"The job I actually want is riskier and requires a ton more effort and grit to acquire."

As this position is riskier, the main question here is if you can afford to go through this financially and still be fine if it doesn't work out?

You don't want to look back on life and think about "Oh, I should have done this and this" when you can do it right now.

Best,
Kevin Tang

0

Julien’s Answer

Hi Julia,

It's a tough decision to make and what I'm going to say is pretty obvious but you shouldn't decide to take a job just for the money, if you do this you're potentially going to be unhappy in your job all your life. Think about that, for the next ~40 years, you're going to spend a third of your time doing something you don't like.

If you know what you want to do, even if the path is going to look harder, the reward will be 100 times worth it!

Here's an article that you might enjoy reading to dig a bit deeper:

(Editor's disclaimer: The linked article contains strong language probably suitable for older readers. Use your judgment and discretion!)

http://deadspin.com/youre-fucked-but-youre-free-a-message-to-the-class-498483665

It's all about the journey!

Best,
Julien

0