Are there MCAT classes in college?

4

Courtney’s Answer

Hi Robert!

Colleges typically do not offer classes that would be labeled as "MCAT Prep Courses." However, you can take college level classes that will align with the topics of the MCAT - chemistry, organic chemistry, biochemistry, physics, etc. Ultimately theses classes are required to apply to medical school so you would be taking them anyway. Some colleges offer these courses bundled together, known as a Post-Baccalaureate Program. Post-Bacc programs are typically taken after your graduate a 4-year degree and are designed to both improve your GPA (if needed) and provide the classes needed to equip you for the MCAT/Med school.

The MCAT Prep Courses I believe you are speaking of are mostly found through MCAT prep companies. Kaplan, Princeton Review, Blueprint/Next Step, Magoosh, etc. They often have online prep course options as well as in person prep options. Both options should provide a tutor or office hours and all the materials you would need to prepare (books, practice exams, q-banks, video/tutorials).

All in all, I think the best option for you really depends on where you are at in your studies. If you are a career changer and have not taken any science level courses yet, I suggest taking those as college courses first. If you have taken all of your science courses then I recommend researching which MCAT prep company you would like to work with to start prepping for the MCAT.

Really hope this helps. Keep studying & good luck!

0

Claire’s Answer

As far as I know, colleges do not supply MCAT specific courses. These prep courses tend to be an additional charge from another outside source, such as Kaplan for example. I would highly recommend taking one of these prep courses if you are able to when you start to prepare for the MCAT. Follow their advice on the amount of work and timelines will be invaluable to your success.
That being said, I know of many other classmates that did not use a prep course but just bought prep books for much less money. And they did very well on their MCAT. Just know yourself as a student and what works best for you when you have to make that decision. Then stick to that decision and give the test prep your all!

0

No. Consider paying for a prep course, like Princeton review or Kaplan if you can afford it.

My son used MCAT Complete 7-Book Subject Review 2019-2020: Online + Book + 3 Practice Tests (Kaplan Test Prep) Kaplan Test Prep
Kaplan Test Prep
It was about $140 and he achieved his goal score.

0