Is having a very specific career goal putting to many limitations on my future?

1

Becoming a video game developer is all I've ever wanted to be. I'm concerned that being so specific will limit my options down the road. Should that not pan out, I worry about what other careers will I be qualified for. I want to have something to fall back on. #career-path #guidance-counselor #career-counselor

1

Thaiz’s Answer

0

Hi Rebekah,
This is a really good question! Focus on your target is always important, but making this the only option is not clever.
I'm reading Chris Hadfield 's book “An Astronaut’s Guide to Life on Earth”, and I believe he gives many insights on how to prepare to your main goal, enjoy the path and not be desapointed if the goal is not achieved (remember that the chances that a Canadian citizen has to be na astronaut and effectively travel out to space is very, very low!)
What are all the skills you need to learn to be a gamer developer? programming, human behavior, graphic design, user experience, etc. which other careers use the same skills?
My advice is for you to focus your development of necessary skills to be the best gamer developer and for sure you will be reached by lots of career opportunities that you will enjoy.
And... check Chris Hadfield's book :)
Success! Thaiz

0