I want to create an educational coloring book. What are the steps to publishing a book?
I'm a young professional and have an opportunity to work with nursing educators to create and publish an educational coloring book. I'm debating between collaborating with an established organization OR doing it independently and selling it on my own. With the help of the organization, I'd receive zero profits, which is why I'm considering self-publishing.
I'd also like to learn more about trademark and copyright, in addition to creating an LLC in California. books coloring-book publishing publish publisher
Is a FREE Self-Publishing, Print-On-Demand and Global Distributor eBook Website.
PUBLISHING YOUR BOOK
So this is kind of the most important part, right? You add the metadata (title, author, ISBN, copyright, description, etc.), upload your Coloring Book story and cover file.*
* Your Coloring Book needs to be a digital file, like a PDF. (Portable Digital File)
All the Illustrations, Narration, Fun Facts, Instructions, etc. are all captured as one piece of artwork on each page.
WYSIWYG –What You See Is What You Get
Once we have your interior and the cover uploaded, you can flip through the book right on the screen! you'll be able to see how bleeds and margins will look and check every page without buying a proof! That is really cool, as you will be able to see exactly how your Coloring Book is going to look before its printed.
So basically, you can plug in all the specs for your book and see what it will cost you to print. The pricing calculator is one of my favorite parts of the Lulu site, no more guessing, confusion costs or unexpected changes. Based on the assumptions below, I ran some numbers for you Coloring Book Kimmy
• Coloring Book Size: 10-1/4 high x 6-3/4 width*
• Interior Page Count: 16* (Note: All your page counts have to in 4's)
• Interior Color: Black & White
• Paper Weight: 70# Uncounted Paper
• Cover Page Count: 4
• Cover Color: Four Color
• Paper Weight: 70# Glossy Paper
• Binding Type: Stapled on the 10-1/4 high edge
• Quantity: 300 Books
• Printing Cost: $ 825
• Shipping Cost: $ 150
• Price per Book: $3.25 (excluding tax)
* Remember it can be anything these are assumptions.
Hope this was Helpful Kimmy
It appears your goal is to make money from the sale of the book.
How well known are you in the publishing world?
I'm going to suggest to do some research and see what kinds of non-profits your mission aligns with and consider a collaboration with them. There is no amount of money that can uplift you or make you happy in any way than sharing your knowledge, volunteering and Philanthropy. Perhaps there's a way to get a small percentage to cover your costs. If you work with the right organization with sincerity for the purpose, that is going to get your work noticed, and generate a buzz and thus create sales.
Book sales of any kind, no matter how well known, famous or rich the author are down. There's a plethora of educational coloring books. What is going to make yours different?
- If you want to target kids between age group 2 -5, then your content can be different which can be like related to alphabets & numbers.
- In case of age group more than 5 years, then it can be based on various situations & topics.
Once, you have collection all the points, then you can work on next steps like:
- Publishing as soft copy or you want hard copy of that