When is the best time to have a child if I want to be a doctor?

5
5

Estelle’s Answer

1
I agree with Hilary and Jemima. There is no perfect time to have children when planning medical school and residency. I have been a gynecologist for 30 yrs and have four children. I thought starting my family during residency was ideal because the kids did not remember the long hours that I was away. Be prepared to ask for help and make sure that you have help available from your partner and family.
1

Jemima A.’s Answer

0

There is no wrong time or right time to have a child as a doctor. It solely Depends on FAMILY PLANNING which will include the Social reason (work as a doctor).
Thanks to assisted reproductive technology. You can have a child anytime you wish as long as eggs are cryopreserved (stored) for later use. Although this is not a total guaranteed but success rate has been achieved by couples that practiced it.
0

Hilary’s Answer

0
There's no wrong answer! And it definitely depends on your partner and their career as well. In my medical school class there were several individuals who had children, a handful who had children during medical school, then many more who had children during residency or after. Do know that during medical school you will be very busy, and intern year of residency is usually very difficult as well. Financially, it's very difficult to have a serious job during medical school, so that may effect your decision. You'll actually have a salary in residency, and a much higher salary as an attending physician. But in the end it's just personal preference and what works for you.
0

Blake’s Answer

0
Hey Jeff,

I'm not a doctor, but I don't think there's a "best" time to have kids in any profession. I think there are times that you will have more time and energy to raise a kid, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's the "best" time. In my opinion, the best time to have a kid is when you and your significant other discuss the options and come to a mutual decision.

Thanks,
Blake
0

0
If you have a supportive spouse or other support system, then you can have a child during residency.

However it would be difficult or impossible without a lot of help. Affording child care as a resident would be tough. Due to the necessity of taking overnight call a live-in nanny or similar setup would be necessary .

Waiting until you enter practice may be preferable since you can probably afford to pay for more help.
0

Alireza’s Answer

0
Dear Jeff, I believe that you have reviewed the other friends's opinions who present here. In my opinion, having a child is not a good idea during medical school, but then after you can think about that. Absolutely, cooperation of your partner, family and financial support you may have affect this big decision.
0