30
Asked 2570 views

Should I go into bussiness or medicine

I change my mind a lot and want to do something that is I enjoy every day. I feel that business is broad and it is so much you can do with a business major, however, being a doctor is so straightforward because having a medical degree is just being a doctor. I have always wanted to be a doctor but don't know if I have what it takes.
#medical #doctor #medicine #healthcare #premed #business #marketing

30

2

Rebecca’s Answer

Hi Catherine,

I majored in Business Strategy. Various people within my major were planning on attending medical school after graduating with their bachelors degree. My brother-in-law is currently finishing up his residency in emergency medicine. He told me that medical schools accept people with various types of majors as long as they qualify (the MCAT score is more important than your major). I would recommend looking into extracurricular organizations, internships, and minors that will help you build the skill set you want. Minors or double majors can really help tailor your education to your future career path.

Edit: additional response included below on what profession a strategy major can perform after graduating.

“Strategists help a company achieve competitive advantage by developing plans that allow the company to offer unique value to their customers. Strategists collect and analyze information about competitors, customers, and the resources and capabilities of the company. Strategists use this analysis to make recommendations about where to invest and what actions to take, over time, in order to achieve superior firm performance. Recommendations may address revenue growth, competitive positioning, acquisitions, building internal processes and capabilities, structuring existing assets or resources, entering new markets, product launches, or any other aspects that can result in higher performance” - this is an overview I took from my program’s strategy major overview.

A Strategic Management major can find jobs as a data or business analyst, consultant, a corporate strategist or various other roles. Various people in my major have gone on to accept roles at different corporations, start their own business, become consultants, financial advisors, marketing analysts etc. Since strategy is more about critical thinking if you pair it with a hard skill minor / emphasis / double major you can increase your skill set / value to recruiters. Other good business major options include Finance, Global Supply Chain & Operations, Human Resources, Information Systems, Marketing, and Accounting. These may be more interesting to you and what you want to go into in the future.
Thank you comment icon Thank you very much, if you wouldn't mind do you think you could tell me more about what you do with a major in Bussiness Strategy Catherine
Thank you comment icon Hi Catherine, I added my response to this comment to my original post (it wouldn’t fit as a comment). If you have more questions please let me know! Rebecca Crandall
2
2

YOU CAN HAVE YOUR CAKE AND EAT IT TOO

Catherine can I suggest MD + MBA, With increasing complexities of health care delivery put a premium on professionals who understand and meet the demands required to deliver innovative, collaborative, and compassionate care rolls needed to take leadership roles in the healthcare industries. With multiple courses of study, the program is designed to meet your varied interests. As a MD + MBA you'll have the ability to acquire skills needed for:

• Excel in areas of healthcare entrepreneurship;
• Develop new therapy paradigms and pharmaceuticals;
• Manage healthcare teams and organizations;
• Become key advisors in healthcare policy for government and private organizations; and/or
• Develop pioneering teaching methods leading the future of clinical care.

There are many different pre-health professions and pre-med undergraduate degrees available. Some schools allow these pre-med programs to be paired with any major, while others typically require students in the program to major in a science-related field, such as biology, chemistry, psychology, etc. your goal for one of these pre-med degree is to help prepare for Masters in Business Administration. As a Pre-Med Graduate you can either go on to pursue graduate, professional, or medical school, or they may begin an entry-level career in the field of their major, such as a career in biology or chemistry.

As discussed, graduates with pre-med degrees may jump right into entry-level positions, usually as various kinds of scientists, and/or may go on to pursue graduate school in a particular subject or medical school. As a suggestion for you you can go onto receive your Masters in Business Administration, the best of both worlds. An MBA degree program incorporates topics of business and finance as they relate to management. Some programs provide integrative real-world workshops that help students develop their skills in international business, negotiations, networking and decision-making.

Hope this was Helpful Catherine
Thank you comment icon Thank You Ben. “Volunteers are the only human beings on the face of the earth who reflect this nation’s compassion, unselfish caring, patience, and just plain loving one another.” – Erma Bombeck John Frick
Thank you comment icon Thank you very much for your help and insight Catherine
Thank you comment icon You are welcome Catherine, it was my pleasure. Nothing is impossible, the word itself says “I’m possible.” John Frick
2
1

Margaret’s Answer

Life has an interesting way of unfolding. Keep your mind and heart open to all opportunities and pursue what GENUINELY makes you happy.
Thank you comment icon Thank you very much I will keep this in mind, your words are deeply appreciated Catherine
1
1

Natalie’s Answer

This is really about knowing yourself, your values, and what will keep you passionate and committed every day. (short and long term).

I have both a Business degree (Marketing/Int'l) and an MBA. However, I never really felt like owning it as a Capitalist until I started working in the MedTech Field. MedTech allowed me to find my personal sweet spot which I call "compassionate capitalism". And I dig TECH and B2B instead of B2C. I knew I did NOT want to be in Consumer/Retail. Zero interest.

I work for a High Tech company that does Tech for the sole reason of improving human health (our Mission is to "alleviate pain, restore health, extend life"). Without that humane aspect, in industries before MedTech, I felt like I couldn't be authentic. Knowing that what we do every day is helping to save or improve a life is personally, very motivating. I feel very lucky that I was able to blend Business with Medicine in this way. I get to work with super-amazing colleagues and even more amazing doctors and nurses and administrators. Humbling.

Good luck with your decision. It's really hard, so don't try to get it "perfect" on your first go. You need to "dabble" to see if it's something that grabs you by your heart and your mind.
1
0

Estelle’s Answer

As an OB Gyn in solo practice, I would emphasize that you can practice medicine as well as business. I hire my own employees, do pay roll, have a mortgage on my building and need to balance my expenses. It is an excellent life balance.
0
0

Kevin’s Answer

my younger brother always wanted to become a doctor, however while going to school he realized that he loved the medical research aspect more and decided to follow that path (still in medicine but not as a doctor)

being a doctor is going to require a great deal of schooling, my sister is a nurse (now has her masters in teaching nursing) and she has continually been taking classes all her life … staying up to date on the latest procedures

the world needs good doctors but before you start down that path make sure it is what you are truly passionate about (Good Luck)
0
0

Ben’s Answer

Hi Catherine,
There are many different types of careers in business, but there are also many different types of doctors. The career of a surgeon would be very different from that of a primary care physician, and also different from a specialist. A doctor working in a hospital will have a different feel than a doctor who owns their own practice, etc. Perhaps you're interested in medicine, but less so about patient care - there are all sorts of research roles in the medical field as well.

I would start by looking inward and trying to answer some important questions to better understand yourself:
What kinds of things do you value?
What do you enjoy doing- what makes you happy?
What are you good at?

Then I would reach out to some doctors - your family care physician, relatives, family friends, etc to ask if they would be willing to have a 15 minute conversation with you about what their job is like, because you're interested in their field. Come prepared with questions about what they actually spend time doing during the day, what they like the most, like the least, what people would be surprised to learn about, where they see the field going in the next 10-15 years, etc. Try to ask questions that relate to the questions you asked of yourself (ex: "would you recommend this field for someone who enjoys variety in their day")

Then I would do the same thing with business people. Try to narrow it down to just a couple of fields (Finance, Marketing, Sales, Supply Chain, Production, HR, etc). Then google some types of careers in that field. For instance, in marketing you'll find social media managers, brand managers, advertising agency managers, copywriters, graphic designers, digital media managers, marketing strategists and more. Each of those roles, though all in the field of marketing, will have a different skill set and a different experience. Find a few people who will be willing to speak with you. Create a profile on LinkedIn.com, reach out to a few people who have titles that seem to be what you're interested in, and ask if they'd be willing to have a 15 minute conversation with you. You'd be AMAZED at how many people are willing to say yes. (Some will say "no", but that's ok - you just need a few to say "yes" to help you). I would recommend looking for people who have at least 5 years of experience, and I would search for a mix of seniority. (You'll likely get fewer "yes" responses from CEO's, VPs, etc - but they might have some of the most varied life experiences and know how to climb to more senior roles). Again- come prepared with your questions. If you don't know what to ask, look up "Informational interview questions" for examples.

Once you've spoken to people, look back at the answers you gained in your interview, as well as those you asked yourself. What becomes clear?

By the way - you don't need a business degree to work in a business. It can certainly help, but I work with plenty of people who have an english degree, or a history degree, or a degree in a foreign language, and they've found themselves in marketing, sales, and supply chain roles. What you do with your time (work experience/internships/volunteering/networking) is more important than the field of study in your degree. You can always get an MBA later (my undergrad was in computer science and I wound up in marketing).

Thank you comment icon Thank you so much, this really helped me out. I will certainly take you up on your advice. Catherine
0
0

Tom’s Answer

You need to follow your passion. Business and Medicine are both rewarding fields but unique in there own ways. Try them both on thru the under grad experience with class, mentoring and internships. The good news is your canvas is clear and you get to draw your future.
0
0

Caroline’s Answer

Hi Catherine,

I think you should look out for internships or volunteer opportunities in both fields to get a bit of first hand-experience and to meet others in those fields. The experience and the people you meet would be unbelievably valuable to you as you learn more about what you'd like to pursue as a career.

Also, if you decide to change careers later in life, that is not the worst thing in the world! Just remember that you do not have to be stuck in one profession for the rest of your life if you don't want to be.

Hope this helps!

Caroline
Thank you comment icon Thank you this helps a lot, I am in clubs such as Red Cross and have been trying to get a hold of doctors so I can try shadowing, however it has been difficult because of the virus, however after I will follow your advice Catherine
0
0

Claudia’s Answer

Catherine, you need to follow your passion. Both careers are interesting but remember you will study/work on it everyday so it needs to be something that you like to do: "Love what you do, do what you love" .

You can always learn something new so you can have two degrees in the future :P And also you can change your choice even when you are studying.

I will tell you my experience: In my first day in college ( International Business), I assisted 3 classes and I noticed that was not for me so I went to the school office, checked for other career options and decided for the one I like the most: Industrial Engineering. It was a quick decision but I don´t regret it cause I love what I actually do. I followed my instict and it works :)
0
0

Carlyn’s Answer

Hi Catherine,

I am not sure where you are in your degree, but it would be great to take a mix of classes if possible. There are also often student organizations related to both of these topics. I would highly recommend getting involved in those to further explore your interest. I have found that it is often important to show ways that you demonstrated interest in a field before looking for a job or internship in that area.
Thank you comment icon I am currently a high school student and I am taking AP classes and also wondering what to do for the rest of my life. I want to make sure I'm not taking difficult classes for no reason if they don't apply to my future major, as well as figuring out what I want Catherine
0
0

D’s Answer

Hi Catherine, these 2 fields have unique experience to offer each. The key is to find your passion. You can try to look for job shadowing opportunities or talking with people who are actually in those 2 fields. In my experience, it's best way to see it yourself whether it's suitable for you.
0
0

Helen’s Answer

Hi Catherine,

Both options are very different. My husband's family is all related to medicine. I advise you to take a deep look inside what you enjoy. Do you enjoy helping people? Do you enjoy changing lives? Is not that through Business you can't do that, but through medicine you are able to touch lives instantly.
0
0

Khrystyna’s Answer

A lot of great advises here. Both degrees are great and will bring a lot of opportunities for the future. I always keep saying you have to go with what you are more passionate about.
0
0

D’s Answer

0
0