Can someone provide me with Validity of CISSP and CCNA certifications in networking field? #July20

Pursuing my masters in information security and also i am the current vice president external for Concordia GSA #cybersecurity

5

Liam’s Answer

Generally, CCNA is more important in the networking field. CISSP is broad in nature and focuses more on policy. Both will require you to know ports, but CCNA will get you knee deep in sub-netting. There is a CCNA-Security cert that gets into specific techniques in securing networks.

Which one you pursue first depends on the career field that you go into. Knowing your desired career path will help better answer this question.

Good Luck!

0

Jackson’s Answer

Naga: CISSP is one of the most sought after cybersecurity certificates. According to cyberseek.org, in the US, there are more job openings requesting CISSP certification than CISSP certification holders. A CISSP certification holder signals to potential employer that she/he has the understanding of broad cybersecurity topics covered by the exam. There are only 130,000 CISSP holders worldwide according to ISC2 (International Information System Security Certification Consortium).
However, cybersecurity certificate is only 1 part of the 3 legged stool. Employers are still valued practical experience. Having a degree in cybersecurity will help you get an internship in cybersecurity. You also need 5 years of experience in cybersecurity in order to qualify as a CISSP holder (you also need to pass the exam).

Jackson recommends the following next steps:

Check out cyberseek.org to learn more about the various cybersecurity certifications and security roles
Get practical experience / internship in cybersecurity role.

0

Patrick’s Answer

Naga: As the previous commenters have mentioned, both the CCNA and CISSP are fantastic certifications that each have different areas of focus. I've seen plenty of security practitioners who hold both. With that being said, I'm going to throw another certification in the mix that you may or may not be considering, the CCSP (Certified Cloud Security Professional). With the prevalence of public cloud computing (AWS, GCP, Azure) the CCSP is becoming more sought after in the filed of cyber security and I would highly recommend putting that certification on your radar.

Cheers

Patrick

Patrick recommends the following next steps:

Research the CCSP, https://www.isc2.org/Certifications/CCSP

0

Kevin’s Answer

A CISSP is a fantastic certification to hold to demonstrate your broader knowledge of the security profession. From memory, a good portion of the test covers networking protocols and encryption so it is a good means to showcase your competency in this area. I can't speak to the CCNA but I anticipate it is still foundational to have from a security operations and architecture perspective.

0

Lauren’s Answer

CISSP is highly respected in my area - information security governance and compliance. It is something which many interviewees have in advanced roles, and something which those who are more entry level might pursue during their time at the company, as some companies will assist with the pursuit of the certification.

I would highly advise looking into it, and considering starting free or low cost courses, and then if you have a role with a company willing to assist with the costs, taking advantage of that.

0