Accelerated Master's Program vs Minor

2

I will be attending college to study computer science this fall, and while I have time before I can apply to be part of the accelerated master's program, I want to plan out my college path in advance. I do plan on getting a master degree in the future, but I am also considering to do a minor in cyber security. However, I do not want to do more than I can handle. I would like to know whether I should do an accelerated master's degree or a minor in the coming years. #college #july20

I am in an accelerated Master's program, and it takes a lot of work and time! While I cannot tell you what to do, I would encourage you to take into consideration the time you will have to invest weekly in your reading and homework. I spend about 15 hours on my work during the week. This includes reading time and discussion and assignments. If you are new to college, I would say start small and add more once you are comfortable with your work/life balance. Sara Shaw Translate
2

Christa’s Answer

1
Start with your general CS classes and sprinkle in some cybersecurity electives and see if that's a path you want to take. I would suggest doing a minor (like cybersecurity) to dive deeper into a topic that you're interested in learning vs an accelerated Master's program. What I thought I wanted to do in College was very different than what I actually do now. If you want to obtain a Masters, I would wait a few years, gain industry experience, and then decide what is the best path to take for your career! Many companies offer education assistance if you decide you want to go back to school, which will help with the financial burden.
Thank you! Chandresh S. Translate
1

Linda’s Answer

0
Hi Chandresh - I can sense your motivation and that is great!! I agree with Sara's response, suggesting you start college first to understand your workload. Also, do you have other commitments that will take time, such as sports, job, family, etc?

My personal suggestion would be to attain your 4-year CS degree. Then find a job that offers educational assistance to help you pay for your masters degree. Since cyber security falls under computer science, take a cyber security course(s) as an elective. That will give you an idea of how interested your are in pursuing a master's degree.

Best wishes in your future!
Linda
Thank you! Chandresh S. Translate
0