How long do it take to get your business license?

I like to hustle for what I want, I’m a hairstylist I’m very chill and I want to start my own business#braider #entrepreneurship

3

Julietta’s Answer

Hello Amani,

So glad to hear you are eager to start your own business! You sound like you have the drive and determination required to be successful with your venture. A business license does not take long to take whatsoever. Although before getting to a point where you need to get the license, there are other things that need to get done. The first step in becoming a successful business owner is raising capital. You need to have money saved before you start. Every business requires start up costs and savings because in the first few years of being in business there will be more expenses than profits to be made. Typically, it takes a new business 5 years before they start seeing a profit. This is because you need to first gather your clientele and make a name for yourself before you're able to make the big bucks. After establishing a savings, it's good to establish a business plan (what types of services you will have, who your audience will be, how you will market, and your prices). At that point, you would need to decide if you would be working alone for now or if you will hire people. Then go ahead and start looking for places you will want to work out of. Hairstylists have a few options; they can rent a chair from someone's salon or you can open your own salon. Many start by renting and working their way up to owning. At that point you can go on IRS.gov and apply for a business license or if you want to start small and simple, consider a sole prop business and all you need for that is to go to city hall and apply for a Fictitious Name statement. This enables you to create a name for your business and use it for marketing purposes.

Hope this helps!

0

Kathy’s Answer

Hi, Amani. I wasn’t sure if you were asking about getting a license to braid and do hairdressing or to open up shop as a hairdresser.

I don’t know much about hairdressing and braiding requirements in particular but all of the information that you need to register your business with the state of IL can be found on the state website. There is also useful information about starting your own business. Try going to Illinois.gov and working your way through the web pages.

There are numbers to call as well and they are very helpful. You sound like. Go-getter so I’m sure you’ll have no problem finding what you are looking for.

Make sure you also look to see if you need to be registered with the city you operate out of.

0