Do Latinos have a less chance of getting a job?

7

Im a chemical engineering student in my senior year. Also, I'm a Mexican living in southern California. It seems that in most white collar professions are dominated by white people. No offense intended. But, does being latino lower the chances of you getting hired? #engineer #job #hire #applying #latino

7

Taylor’s Answer

2
Hey Cristian!

Diversity and inclusion is a very important topic in the work place today. Its honestly one of the most talked about topics nowadays in STEM professions since minority groups are so severely underrepresented (woman, African Americans, Latinos, LGBT). Many of the large companies have programs dedicated for minority groups to connect. There's even national conferences for minority groups to meet employers and get internships. I believe the one for latinos is SHPE.

Good luck with your search! Check out SHPE, its a great program.
2

Joann’s Answer

1

Hi Christian,

To add what has already been stated, companies are looking for skilled people for particular fields. Your nationality is immaterial to getting the job. It may appear that there is a bias, however, it could just be that there aren't that many people with your cultural mix interested in the chemical engineering field. Don't make assumptions that could be wrong and hold you back. If you see a job that you are interested in, go for it!

1

Paola’s Answer

0
Hi Cristian. It is true that there is a significant lack of diversity at the top. That is a fact that can easily be documented. However, having worked in corporate America for 15 years now, I can say that the reason is NOT always racial bias. There are simply fewer of us applying to highly specialized jobs due to educational disparities that begin in childhood.
If you are a smart, personable, and hard-working individual, you will have exactly the same opportunities as everybody else. I have never felt that I was not given an opportunity because I am Hispanic/Latina.
As others have said here, there are programs in many companies that are aimed at increasing the diversity in their workforce and it's up to us to demonstrate that we can!
The most important thing is that you believe in yourself and in your ability to achieve your dreams. Don't let any prejudices or beliefs get in the way of your success. I wish you the best!
0

Joe’s Answer

0
Of course you're going to be alright! Believe in yourself and don't be letting people push you around. That doesn't mean you have to be physically fighting just stand up for yourself when needed. The answers already given to you here should show you there are people just like you making it so don't feel defeated or less of a person should you come across a door being closed because of bigotry or racism. That will be there lose of a great engineer. You just make sure to keep trying to be a good person. Good luck mijo!
0

Manuel’s Answer

0

Hi Cristian, definitely nowadays we have the same opportunities of getting a job as other cultures. So don't be afraid of that. I'm also mexican working for an american company and let me tell you... currently most of the companies are looking for talented people like you and they don't care about your culture or, as Taylor said in his answer, if you are part of a minority group.

0

Patricia’s Answer

0

Hello Cristian, NO definitively no, I am Mexican and I am working at Cisco one of the most important companies giving support in English being that is not my maternal language, I believe the only barrier is the knowledge and how you develop your skills.

0