Why did you choose the health care pathway?

2

Yasemin’s Answer

Hi Kourtney! Excellent question and one that is asked many times to individuals in the healthcare field. For me, it began when my grandmother was diagnosed with dementia and I began to take care of her for some time, we had a very strong and trusting relationship and this was the first real experience I had in health care. Afterwards my biology teacher combined medicine with science and I absolutely loved it; taking care of my grandmother and having my biology teacher teach science in a medically related way inspired me to pursue the path of being a physician. It can be difficult and require time and dedication, but it is a very rewarding field; one of my experiences in the health care field is volunteering in the ER, in this setting there are so many cases to see and so many patients to help. I've had the opportunity to not only obtain experience in a true medical setting but also help many patients in their care. Besides being a physician there are many pathways in the health care field like nursing, physician's assistant, pharmacist, etc., to name a few. I think to really decide if this field is right for you I would recommend to get experience working with others in a medical setting and also making sure you like science. Individuals who are pursuing a path in health care will be studying a lot of science, and even though you may struggle in a subject or like one more than the other, it is important to make sure you can do well in these classes and enjoy them as well. Hope this has helped!
I wish you the best!

Inspiring indeed Jemima A. Chukwu

Thank you! Yasemin G.

0

Hi Kourtney. Good question. I find that there are so many different perspectives that folks provide when I have asked them similar questions. In my case, I was interested early in becoming part of an industry that was helping a portion of the community that needed assistance getting access to healthcare and health services.

I found the best place for me to start was working at a health plan that served Medicaid members. This was extremely rewarding to me as I worked in different areas of the plan and and got an opportunity to speak directly to the members and providers. A lot of the members we served were young mothers, folks that had economic hurdles or other disabilities. I really enjoyed my time helping them navigate a confusing industry, understand how to interact with their insurance plan and providers, and ultimately help them stay current with health and wellness visits, and assist with accessing the care they needed when they were sick or injured.

After several years working in the Medicaid landscape, and watching my parents grow older I decided to focus on another demographic and moved into the Medicare world (for people over 65 years of age). This for me was a natural extension of my earlier career choice and I have pursed the same area of interest in the Medicare world.

0