What are the drawbacks, if any, are there when being an Occupational Therapist?

Hello, my name is Maddy and I am a sophomore in Highschool. I really love animals and most of the time children. I do not have a specific dream job, but I want to work in the Health Science department. I like working with others and like to be social, however I am a bit shy. I dont think this will affect my work in the future though. I hope that in the future I will be able to help others with the work I do. #health #occupationaltherapist #childcare

2

Elaina’s Answer

I agree with A's answer! Depending on where you work, it can be physically challenging to assist and manage patients, and at times all jobs, including occupational therapy, can be demanding and mentally challenging. You have to be able to think on your feet, and think outside of the box--creative, unique solutions! However, I find it to be a very fun, rewarding and dynamic job--never the same each day and I love that!

0

A’s Answer

I work as a nurse, so it is not the same career, however, I would say that some of the challenges in working in OT might be the long working hours, if you work in the hospital, and being on your feet all day. Sometimes, you may have challenging personalities to deal with. Patients can be frustrated with their health condition at times.

A recommends the following next steps:

Job shadow an OT
Research the different areas in which an OT can work

0