2 answers
Asked Viewed 2024 times Translate

Can you have a career as a Physician Assistant outside the United States?

I am a Biology Major, currently attending Florida Atlantic University. I plan to attend a PA program after I graduate college. I would like to work in a developing country, ideally somewhere in Africa. I was recommended to join the Peace Corps, however, I know little about it. Any thoughts? #jobs #physician #physicians-assistant #medical-assisting #peace-corps

+25 Karma if successful
From: You
To: Friend
Subject: Career question for you
100% of 2 Pros

2 answers

Updated Translate

Daniela’s Answer

Hi Brittany,

  • The Peace Corps staff includes at least one medical officer at each country's post. Nurses, nurse practitioners, physician assistants and physicians can serve as a Peace Corps medical officer. These dedicated providers include host-country nationals, third-country nationals and Americans. They are all carefully evaluated and credentialed by Peace Corps' Office of Medical Services Quality Improvement Unit at Headquarters. The quality of medical care at the posts is monitored regularly by the Office of Medical Services at Peace Corps headquarters.

These are the criteria to apply:

Peace Corps Response provides qualified professionals the opportunity to serve in rewarding, short-term assignments, in various programs around the world.

To be eligible for Peace Corps Response, an applicant must be a U.S. citizen and one (1) of the following:
An experienced professional
A returned Peace Corps Volunteer
A licensed physician or nurse
Click “search openings” below to view the list of open positions.

Search openings
View current opportunities or search on specific criteria to find opportunities that match your experience.

Submit resume
Upload a general resume to the Peace Corps Response database. This is not an application, but we may reach out to you if we have a position that fits your skills and experience. Please note that if you would like to be considered for a specific assignment, you must apply directly to a posted position.

More in: http://www.peacecorps.gov/apply/

Good luck!

100% of 1 Students
Updated Translate

Ken’s Answer

Hi Brdittany!

Here are some suggestions:

Here is an internship program that might be helpful:

Here are some examples of Physicians Assistants abroad:

Best of luck! Please keep me posted. I would like to follow your progress!