What kind of Field of work would i do better in?

I'm a senior, I have taken three construction classes along side with two classes of auto mechanics I excelled in both. To me personally I'm more of a hands on worker and would like to see the possible outline of jobs that I could be interested in going in to. #construction

3

jesse’s Answer

Hey Frankie,

I would say that ultimately depends on what interests you. Auto mechanics face challenging tasks now a days with all the technology and computers running these cars. Auto mechanics will always be needed to service our vehicles. The job is dirty, and your required indoors most of the time. There are also many specialty mechanics, for example: brakes, mufflers, transmissions and engines, etc.

Construction also has many specialties. You could specialize in masonry, insulation, framing, plumbing, electrical, HVAC, etc. Plumbing and electrical are popular fields, great pay, and we are running out of them. Being a Senior in HS, i would recommend a brief internship to narrow down which avenue suits you. There are alot of choices!

0

Katie’s Answer

I'm not the most qualified person to answer this but I have spent plenty of time at construction sites as a geotechnical, environmental, and materials testing consultant. I think it depends on whether you prefer to work primarily outdoors or indoors and whether you prefer working with cars (small parts, mostly) or a specific trade such as concrete work, excavation, steel work/welding, large machinery operator, etc. Getting an internship or part time job at a mechanic shop or construction company would definitely give you a better idea. Hopefully someone with direct experience can give you some more information.

Katie recommends the following next steps:

Seek an apprenticeship under a certified mechanic
Seek an internship with a construction company
Review local union websites to learn more about different construction trades

0

Ryan’s Answer

I would advice that you try to get a job as an assistant commissioning agent. Commissioning is a great way to see the entire building and learn from a professional with many years in the business.

0