Alec J.

1126

22

Would I be able to be a college athlete as well as pursue a nursing degree?

I know being a college athlete requires a big time commitment but how much time does it compare to a nursing degree. I really want to be working in the medical field and I feel that nursing would be a great and secure career. Would I be able to balance out the rigorous classes for a nursing degree as well as a college athletic career? #college #doctor #nursing #medical #college-major

Hi Alec-

Many schools offer programs for their athletes to ensure they are able to succeed both as students, and athletes! Athletic codes still exist at a collegiate level, so for the team you may consider playing on, your grades are as important to them as they are to you.

If this is something you are interested in and looking into, I would encourage you to reach out to the schools you have interest in to understand their study programs. Many offer tutoring, study tables, designated team study times, etc.

Last updated May 10 '17 at 16:00

Hi Alec!

You are asking a very good question for two reasons: (1) It is very wise to have a professional career meshed with a professional sports career, as many sports careers end prematurely due to injury, etc., and with a professional career, you can continue with a sometihing satisfying and productive to fall back upon. (2) Balancing time in college is very challenging, as you do not have the rigid parameters that you experience in high school and you therefor can get badly off track if you do not exercise discipline in time management. Here are some thoughts from someone who has been there: http://www.mycollegesuccessstory.com/academic-success-tools/college-life-balance.html.

You might also find this link to be helpful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7H0lCv93rs

Best of luck. Please keep me posted. I would like to follow you progress!

Last updated Jun 05 '16 at 10:06

You will need to check out the nursing program... some programs have strict schedules. You need to be able to juggle the 2.. You can accomplish anything you put your mind to! I went to nursing school, worked and had children. Good Luck!!!
Last updated Dec 05 '17 at 08:35

Schools Add a schools