How do you learn to juggle a soccer ball?

I'm Ms. Hill at the International Community School. My 4th graders have a few questions and I'd like to share your advice with them. Thanks in advance!

#soccer

4

Catherine’s Answer

To learn juggling will take some practice so it's important not to get discouraged if it's difficult at first. I learned to juggle first with my thighs, so dropping the ball and hitting it back up with my thigh and then catching it. Then I would try two juggles then catch. Three then catch, and so on. Once you are comfortable juggling on one thigh, you switch thighs and do the same thing. Once you are good with both thighs, then you can try to alternate your juggles, left right left right etc.

By juggling with your thighs first, you get to practice the rhythm that juggling takes! You always need to stay light on your feet and be ready to react to the ball. After feeling good about juggling on your thighs, do the same thing with your feet. Eventually you can practice juggling with your head in the same way, and by then you should be able to keep the ball up with any part of your body no matter where the ball goes!

Juggling is hard but you will get better as long as you keep practicing!

0

Jennifer’s Answer

Put on comfortable clothes and sneakers, get a ball and find a some flat ground, preferably grass but cement will do! Pick up the ball in your hands and hold the ball out in front of you. Now take one foot and point your toes as you bring your foot up you drop the ball at the same time. Ideally you want your foot to meet the ball about about 12 inches off the ground. You want to make contact on your shoelaces (remember to keep your foot pointed) and catch the ball. Keep doing this until you can comfortably catch the ball. Once you've mastered one juggle you can try to add two and then three....

All great soccer players can juggle. Juggling is about your ability to control the ball with your touch. You can also get better at juggling by developing a better touch on the ball by practicing to pass and dribble.

0

Kiirsten’s Answer

Hello Ms. Hill and Students!

There have been a lot of great answers here, when it comes to learning anything new-- determination and focus is a must! When it comes to practicing for anything, spend a little bit of time each day for repetition as well. There are many different professional athletes and musicians who practice every day-- because you can always improve! Echoing a few of the above answers, definitely make sure you're on flat ground and are wearing comfortable athletic shoes.

Have a great 2021!

0

Nicole’s Answer

Practice, practice, practice! Don't get discouraged if you can't juggle the ball on your first try. When I played soccer, I used to bring a ball inside the house (if your family says it's ok!) and dribble it around the room, up the stairs, etc. to practice controlling the ball very carefully inside. This helped me learn how to improve my touch on the ball. Good luck and have fun!

0