Can anyone tell me about their experience of living in college's dorms what did you take away from this experience?

I am curious about the different experiences in living inside a college's dorm. #college #experience #life

9

Jeanne’s Answer

Everyone has a different experience, so what I share is only reflective of my experience.

I enjoyed it a LOT. I was excited to meet new people, live in a new place (away from my parents!) and dorms were full of opportunities for this. I enjoyed it so much because (1) I had a roommate I really got along with - very important in how you end up enjoying/not enjoying your experience (2) I approached it with an open mind - having lived my own life for 18 years, I have my own habits and preferences. So, being put in a dorm with other people who all have their own habits and preferences, can be a pretty jarring experience. Therefore, if you can approach it with openness, it makes the experience very different.

I hope someone will write in with a negative experience so you can see the variance that's possible.

2

Carmen’s Answer

I never lived in a dorm, I either lived at home or rented an apartment. Looking back now I wish I had lived in a dorm and had that college experience. Go to college and do the “college things”…..do it for a year, then decide if it is not for you.

1

Christine’s Answer

Jeanne is definitely right - Everyone each has their own experience. I've had a couple of different roommates while in college and it definitely teaches you A LOT about people. My first roommate and I got along perfectly and still to this day (6 years out of college) we are still pretty good friends. Living with total strangers teaches you a few things ... it teaches you to open up to people and it also teaches you to speak up to people, if you don't like something that is going on in your room. If you're more of a reserved individual, your roommate is living with you, so sooner or later you will open up to each other. Also, don't be scared to speak up if your roommate is doing something you don't like. For example, if your roommate is playing music too loud and you're trying to study, never hesitate to speak up! If there are ever any roommate problems or issues, always bring them up to your RA. They are extremely caring and helpful individuals!

1

Melanie’s Answer

Everyone most definitely has a different experience. With that being said, I'll share mine! Living in a dorm versus commuting, was able to teach me how to be independent and take care of myself in times where I would usually look to my parents for help. Also, I was able to build life long relationships with people that I otherwise wouldn't have if I didn't live on campus.

There's really nothing like that "campus feel". When living on campus, you feel like you're part of a community and there's a sense of pride that comes with that. It more like a feeling than something that can be explain fully in writing.

I lived my freshman and sophomore year on campus, junior and senior year I lived off-campus in apartments right next to the dorms so I somehow still had the same campus feeling.

1

Ari’s Answer

The school that I go to requires us to live on campus all four years because it is such a small school. I have live in two building that had communal bathrooms and it was nice because I met more people that way. I have also lived in two suite style living places. One where there were 8 of us and it had two bathrooms. So we shared a lot but it was great to have a small living room where we could play games and watch movies together. I have also lived in a four person suite and that was nice because we had a peninsula in the kitchenette and I would sit with my suitemates and do homework with them. It depends on the school that you go to. I have had experiences where I did not get along with my roommates or my suite mates but I have also had experiences that led me to making new friends.

0

Wael’s Answer

Honestly, my experience was not so great. However, according the statistics on this page you have a 75% chance to have an awesome experience :P ... Moreover, I suggest you find a dorm configuration with your own bathroom.

0

Kelly’s Answer

I agree with the above - I really enjoyed living in the dorms. In fact, my University required you live on campus the first year unless you lived close to the school. In retrospect, that's a great policy. You get to meet a lot of different people, and do a lot of different things. Different groups of people are always doing different things, so you get the chance to participate in a lot. Living with strangers takes a bit of getting used to, but overall, it was a lot of fun and I am so glad I did it.

0

Melanie’s Answer

0