How do I make my marks in the sports industry?

I am currently a second year university student in Business Intelligence. My principal fields of interests are communications, analytics and sports management.

Thank you

#sports #analytics #communications

2

Mary Katherine’s Answer

Hi Jean-Sebatien!

Getting your foot in the door of a sports company can be difficult, but with the proper preparation it can be done!

Firstly, it is awesome you are studying sports management as a field of interest! I would definitely advise you to develop strong relationships with your professors and to challenge yourself to think about how the topics you are learning about in the classroom can be applied to a job. This educational background will be very helpful later on in your career.

Always be learning! Research sports business news, industry trends, or follow along with the management of your favorite team or league. The first step of starting a career is to find a passion and to develop some background in the field, which it sounds like you have!

If you are looking for job experience, check out any postings you may come across on LinkedIn, as well as the TeamWorks Online site (they post many job openings from part time to internships, to full time entry level and above positions). Don't be afraid to reach out to any alumni from your University or any connections you may have on LinkedIn; simply introduce yourself and ask if there is anyway you can ask the professional a couple questions about their career. You will be surprised how many people are willing to help, but don't get discouraged if you do not hear back!

Read! There are so many great sports business books out there. I would definitely encourage you to find leaders in the industry, whether a coach, General Manager, or employer who shares some of your values and has a leadership style you relate to. Developing leadership qualities and learning from leaders will help you tremendously in your career and personal life.

I hope this is helpful. Best of luck in your career!

Mary Kate

Mary Katherine recommends the following next steps:

Create a LinkedIn (if you have not already) and follow sports Leagues, Teams, Brands (like Gatorade, Adidas, Nike, etc.) and keep your eye out for sports industry news
Check out https://www.teamworkonline.com/ for sports job postings
Read Sports Business Books! Some of my favorites are Players by Matthew Futterman, Wooden on Leadership by John Wooden, and Mindset by Carol Dweck (great business/personal development book)

0

Alex’s Answer

Hi there!

I think step one is defining what 'make it' means to you. Another way of saying that is 'how do you define success? That way, you know what you're working towards. Doe making your mark mean working with famous athletes? Does it mean being published in a sports article or journal? The cool part is you get to decide that!

I would say getting clear on that is step one. Once you do that, find mentors/role models who have done that. I would also recommend taking some specialty classes within sports management and joining student organizations with that focus.

0