2 answers
Asked Viewed 90 times Translate

Can undocumented students qualify for state financial aid and instate tuition in every state?

Is this true? #college #colleges

+25 Karma if successful
From: You
To: Friend
Subject: Career question for you
100% of 2 Pros

2 answers

Updated Translate

Natalie’s Answer

Hi Oscar,

It looks like it varies based on states. Here's some state-specific info:

"Currently, at least 19 states have provisions allowing for in-state tuition rates for undocumented students. Seventeen states—Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Illinois, Kansas, Maryland, Minnesota, Nebraska, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Oregon, Texas, Utah and Washington—extend in-state tuition rates to undocumented students through state legislation. Two states—Oklahoma and Rhode Island—allow in-state tuition rates to undocumented students through Board of Regents decisions. In 2013, the University of Hawaii's Board of Regents and the University of Michigan's Board of Regents adopted similar policies for undocumented students to access in-state tuition at those institutions. In April 2014, Virginia's attorney general started granting in-state tuition to those covered under the federal Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals.
At least seven states—California, Colorado, Minnesota, New Mexico, Oregon, Texas and Washington—currently allow undocumented students to receive state financial aid.
Three states—Arizona, Georgia and Indiana—specifically prohibit in-state tuition rates for undocumented students, and two states—Alabama and South Carolina— prohibit undocumented students from enrolling at any public postsecondary institution."

Source: https://www.ncsl.org/research/education/undocumented-student-tuition-overview.aspx

It looks like in your home state, Nevada, on the University of Nevada, Reno website, they offer in-state tuition if you qualify, regardless of immigration status.


There are also scholarships undocumented students can apply for. Here's one resource that has over 50 scholarships specifically for undocumented students: https://getschooled.com/article/1320-scholarships-for-undocumented-daca-mented-students-get-that-money/

Good luck with your next steps!

Updated Translate

Thomas’s Answer

"Federal, state and institutional financial aid policies
Undocumented students cannot legally receive any federally funded student financial aid, including loans, grants, scholarships or work-study money.

In most states, they are not eligible for state financial aid. Some states do grant eligibility for state financial aid to undocumented students who qualify for in-state tuition. This has proven a contentious issue, so the situation is subject to change.

Most private scholarship funds and foundations require applicants to be U.S. citizens or legal residents, but there are some that do not. The Resources section on this page links to a list of scholarships that may be available to undocumented students.

Private institutions set their own financial aid policies. Some are willing to give scholarships and other aid to undocumented students."

Source: https://professionals.collegeboard.org/guidance/financial-aid/undocumented-students#:~:text=Undocumented%20students%20cannot%20legally%20receive,eligible%20for%20state%20financial%20aid.