What are the three data structures?

#three data structures in computer engineering #computer-networking #technology #business

5

Seifeldin’s Answer

Hi Dariehl,

A data structure is a collection of data type ‘values’ which are stored and organized in such a way that it allows for efficient access and modification. In some cases a data structure can become the underlying implementation for a particular data type.

For example, composite data types are data structures that are composed of primitive data types and/or other composite types, whereas an abstract data type will define a set of behaviours (almost like an ‘interface’ in a sense) for which a particular data structure can be used as the concrete implementation for that data type.

When we think of data structures, there are generally four forms:

1-Linear: arrays, lists
2- Tree: binary, heaps, space partitioning etc.
3- Hash: distributed hash table, hash tree etc.
4 - Graphs: decision, directed, acyclic etc.

1

Ahmad’s Answer

To put it simply, data structures are just a way data is organised, processed, read and stored. Data may be a representation of real-life objects you want to input, output, process and store in your program, and just as real-life objects differ in "type" we subsequently have different data structuring types to better organise this data.

An example of this would be the array data structure for organising data with index & value pairs, like Customer ID (index) & Customer Phone Number (value) pair. This is called a "Linear" data structure. Other data structures include:
- Tree: binary, heaps, space partitioning, etc.
- Hash: distributed hash table, hash tree, etc.
- Graphs: decision, directed, acyclic, etc.

1

Seifeldin’s Answer

Commonly used Data Structures
Arrays.
Stacks.
Queues.
Linked Lists.
Trees.
Graphs.
Tries (they are effectively trees, but it's still good to call them out separately).
Hash Tables.

1

Terry’s Answer

Hi Dariehl,

All the answers are correct. Here is a site I found with a little more detail

https://yangpeng-tech.medium.com/chapter-3-data-structures-380033314cd8#:~:text=Data%20Structures%201%203.1%20Contiguous%20vs.%20Linked%20Data,Triangulations%20%28Omitted%29%207%203.7%20Hashing%20and%20Strings.%20

0

Mickael’s Answer

Hi Dariehl,

If I would have to choose from only 3, I would take those in order:
- array because I am not sure what I would do without that one.
- hash table// system b-tree : one of them because I am often required to store and search and those are efficient.
- Linked List: because after array and hash, this is the one I tempt to use a lot (and from it, could implement many of the others).

0