Ivy A.’s Avatar

Ivy A.

46

2

What is your favorite thing about being a woman in the STEM field?

I attend an all girls school that is very STEM based and I was wondering what the advantages of not only this type of education, but of the career in STEM as a woman are. There is particularly controversy in math and science about the amount of women who occupy these jobs. I would like to know the pros and cons of working in different fields as a woman and any advice you may have for someone who is looking to do the same! #stem #in #woman

The advanatage of working in Stem are enoronmus. A lot of STEM jobs are still held by the majority of men. If you are someone who likes to stand out, if you are a problem solver and want to be on the cutting edge of technology. STEM careers would be the right choice for you. As a software developer,I love that I get to be apart of solving problems and finding common solutions to everyday problems. It was a battle to find a career and a company that believes in diversity and inclusion. That has helped a long way to decide to stay in the field. As for the math part as a mentor I always reccommend taking the as many math and science courses that you can. I haven't found a difference in my grades versus my male counterparts. I think you need to have a passion for it or you will burn out very quickly. If you do go into the STEM area. Build a network of like minded women who can support you through your journey. Get involved and volunteer in STEM iniatives to make sure it's the right fit for you. Best of luck to you
Last updated Aug 21 '17 at 11:42