Why are career goals important?

I'm 18 and trying to decide on a career goal. #career-choice #job #animation

3

Alessia’s Answer

In my experience goals have enabled me to do more and be better. They make you more disciplined with your time because if you have a goal you then work your way backwards planning your time to ensure you reach it. Without goals it is easier to get caught in the moment and not achieve as much.

1

Katherine’s Answer

Hi Allen, Without a goal it's sometimes hard to make decision. Depending on the career you want to pursue, some careers require more work than others (certifications or licenses for example).

Goals don't always need to be very specific. You can ask yourself where you want to be and what are a few paths to get there? Give yourself some flexibility and options to have movement. Many of us start and end in places where we could not have imagined.

At some point, you'll also start weighing personal, professional, monetary, and family goals. It's incredibly important to also remember that career is just one part of your life and what makes you!

1

Katie’s Answer

I feel goals that follow the SMART method (Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic, and Timely) allows individuals to ensure that they have fully thought out their goal and the steps necessary to achieve it. Goals also aren't set in stone, especially career goals. With experience, you will be able to tailor and adjust your goals as needed to continue moving towards what you would like to achieve.

0