Computer System Analyst

computer-software information-technology
I'm very curious on what's it like to be a Computer System Analyst on a usual work day

4

Mark’s Answer

The term computer systems analyst is already outdated. Every company, depending on size and industry could define this job differently. And to make the issue more complex, the education system has a separate set of terms for their degrees.
I would seek out courses that are of interest of you while also researching companies of interest where you want to live.
After a few courses, I would seek out paying work or an internship to see if you like that kind of work. Doing what you like is much more important then the name of the skill. In this field, for the foreseeable future, these are well paying jobs.
Even in a university degree that are different paths to become a systems engineer, a software engineer, a computer science major, a UI/UX designed or a software developer. And no two schools have the exact same curriculum,
It took me a year of working in a company to identify what I didn't like to do, which was invaluable in picking courses to finish my degree and finding a job and career path I loved.

Mark recommends the following next steps:

Reseach the companies in the area you want to live
Talk to HR and meet people (and maybe shadow them), to see what they really do
Find the educational opportunities where you want to live
Identify there major offereings
Pick a course of semester of courses to try and see if you can get an internship
0

Bradley’s Answer

hi, Computer Systems Analyst has changed over the years. Before, we had to recommend custom computer systems and understand the ability to create software to solve the problem.

Today most of the computers are PC or Apple. Because computing power has increased so much these days its more of a software solution, and things have gone farther with these Amazon cloud or Microsoft Azure, some facility with zillions of PC units where the actual hardware can be simulated, then its loaded with simulated software and the person/company, instead of have a computer on site, connects to that system over the internet and the computing happens at Amazon or Microsoft.

The computing becomes a "service". And these days you can learn Azure or Amazons AMS free, mostly. If a company needs software to track operations? they rent access to business software and set it up for their needs. So you would look at what the company wants to do and try to match up computers, software or these online services to solve the problem.

Some people like doing this, finding what solutions are out there and making a simple description of what the company wants and how this or that can do what they need; they say yes and you order things, set it up; Its a very fun kind of project work thats all new.

Other people only want to code. Nothing else. Thats something we'd call "code intensive" where one needs to know programming in detail. The analyst is more of a bigger picture person, some knowledge of programming is good but its about making a system do what the customer wants. More meeting with others, talking to companies that offer solutions, making a proposal and being there to help. Ive done my share of coding. I'd rather be meeting people, light travel maybe, arranging demonstrations and moving around than sitting at the terminal for hours.

Hope this helps? Studying is and should be fun. Trying new things and studying can be difficult but so rewarding. Best of luck

Bradley recommends the following next steps:

If a city college is nearby where you can attend, its always great if possible. Some have to work, cant take as many units but start slow, see if its for you. School, college anyway, should be fun.

Bradley, Lots of good info here. I would go back to Pius with a series of why questions, as to what info he is really trying to seek out. The term 'computer system analyst' can mean a lot of things. I haven't seen that title in a long time with the changes you mentioned in your comments. Mark Eagle

0

Shubhankar’s Answer

Hi Pius,

The typical work day of any systems analyst is more or less towards the following points.

1. They analyze the system with respect to functionality and performance.
2. They develop and maintain system codes
3. Do debugging in case of issues and resolve them.

In general the up keep of any system becomes the responsibility of a Systems analyst.

Thank you for your time to answer my question! I'll be sure to have this on my radar once I get into Job Corps Pius H.

0

Here is what I found:
https://www.owlguru.com/day-in-life-of-computer-systems-analysts/

You can also go to Indeed.com and look up jobs there. The job description will tell you what the educational requirements are, what skills are needed and how much it pays.

Hi Michael! Thanks so much for your answer. Would you be able to provide some insights from your professional experience in your responses? Our Community Guidelines ask that professionals do not solely redirect students to web links from Google i.e. Indeed, since students are able to find these on their own. Please let me know if I can be helpful in finding student questions that fit your professional experience. Thanks so much for being a part of the community! Alexandra Carpenter

My thoughts are that if advice seekers knew where and how to research careers - which is most of the questions i respond to - they would likely not need career village to help them. I would rather refer them to resources than to leave their questions unanswered because career village does not have a resident expert in the career that the advice seeks are asking for. If you would like, I can drop off the site. Michael Haarstick

0