Sophia P.

116

3

Is management the career you went into first?

I am looking into going into management and I was wondering if it is something that you worked up to or if it is what you were immediately pulled to by interest. #management

Great question Sophia!!

I completely agree with Pam, building a good foundation will assist you in being a successful leader. Many managers are good leaders, but then lack true leadership skills/attributes.

Last updated Feb 15 '17 at 15:13

1 comment

Hello! I found that it best to start out at a lower level to get the lay of the land in the industry where you will be concentrating.

For example, I am in IT years ago I was a Tester. I learned the application I was responsible for testing and became such an expert I was then able to be a Test Lead/Manager on that application. I then had testers reporting to me as the manager.

I hope that helps! Good luck!

Last updated Feb 16 '17 at 11:20

1 comment

Hi Sophia-

I also agree with the above answers.

If the opportunity were to present itself to you allowing you to enter at a management level, and it is something you are interested in I would certainly encourage you to pursue it. I would also suggest taking time to understand the bottom line, work closely with those you are managing to understand what their day to day struggles are.

The most effective manager is the one who has done the work, understands the processes and procedures, and leads the team toward the common goal. Without having the experience or knowledge of the other levels, you could be in a very difficult position as far as making appropriate decisions, and gaining respect from those working for you.

I had a manager at one point in time who was posed the following question: "How many people work for you?" without hesitation she said, "None. I work for them." this is the mentality I try to carry with me and truly believe in most environments works best!

Last updated May 10 '17 at 14:52

I started at an entry level position and worked in most crafts in the industry. When I decided to go into a management position I was well prepared and gained a lot of credibility having come "from the craft". I also worked in almost every level between supervisor and Vice President. Having worked through the ranks of management also gives you a broader picture when you are in a senior position. In the best of times or the worst of times, a company always needs the people who have a broad understanding of the company's products, services and organization. If you are one of those folks who've spent the time and effort to get to that point, you'll be a valuable asset and be well positioned to move upward.
Last updated Dec 07 '17 at 13:43

Schools Add a schools