When did you find your love for sign language?

I am asking this question because I want to understand how other people fell in love with sign language like I did and around the age classes family interpreter languages american-sign-language british-sign-language

2
Pros
2
0

Valerie’s Answer

I love languages in general and have studied many. Any chance to understand others and gain insights to culture through language are fascinating to me. I took my first course in ASL in college (age 19ish) as an elective and loved learning it. I always enjoy when news briefings/national anthem/etc. are also presented in sign language. Our church does an annual event where signers are a part and it is my favorite service to hear the song and see it as well. So beautiful!
0

John Preston’s Answer

My friend has been learning sign language as part of her undergrad (her major is psychology). This is in her words:

"My grandfather was hard of hearing and his parents actually refused to raise him [because of it], so I've always been interested in deaf advocacy. I also get frustrated with verbal communication when in an anxiety attack, so being able to communicate through it interested me. But I REALLY fell in love with it the second I started learning."
0