Where do I start with getting into the IT career path?

it specialists

Would this be the ideal study starting point if I would want to get into the IT field? It's a 1 year course full time at Northlink College. Don't want to take it up and end up nowhere. Seems like a good starting point. COMPTIA Comptia A+ Core Series 220-1001 Comptia A+ Core Series 220-1002 Comptia Network+ N10-007 ICDL BASE MODULES Computer Essentials Online Essentials Word Processing Spreadsheets ICDL INTERMEDIATE MODULES Presentation Online Collaboration Project Planning COMPTIA Comptia A+ Core Series 220-1001 Comptia A+ Core Series 220-1002 André V.

17
Pros
17
0

Swapnil’s Answer

Hi, this is very interesting question as I had been there.
You should start with getting to know about the different fields, interests and roles that come under the vague banner of IT!
There is the most popular coding, Networking, Database and now very hot Data science related roles and much much more. Just find out what are the most comfortable or challenging fields you feel like working in for the rest of your life! and do make sure that this should not be about the money but should be about passion and interest, you will get money everywhere!
The best way I would suggest to start your IT career path is to try different things and see through them. Find out what role or field makes you happy and then there are plenty of prebuilt paths for the role on internet. Do make sure to talk to people who are already related to that field to gain better perspectives!
Your advice was so helpful! André V.
1
Pros
1
0

Rebecca’s Answer

I am delighted that you are interested in IT. There are different careers in IT, e.g. Web Development, Apps Development, Application Support, System Administration, Database Administration, etc. You may need to explore what you would like to do.
I would suggest the approach below :
1. Find out the entry criteria of Computer Science in the universities in your country/region
2. After entering the university, the course would offer the understanding of computer theories and exposure on different IT areas
3. Find out what areas you are interested. Try to find someone (e.g. Alumni, Professors, etc.) who works in the area
4. Explore any intern opportunities in that area. That can give you better understanding on that aspect. Sometimes, some corporates may offer permanent offer upon graduation
5. You can look for the relevant opening after graduation.
Hope this helps! Good Luck!
I appreciate you taking the time to answer this. André V.
1
Pros
1
0

Christopher’s Answer

Hello,

A useful tool I used to bridge the gap between theoretical knowledge and practical IT knowledge is https://acloudguru.com/
I cannot stress how valuable this subscription was to get hands on experience. Sometimes they have a sale for a reduced price.

Hope this helps.
Your advice was so helpful! André V.
0

Aquiles’s Answer

Hey, great question!

My suggestion is that you start thinking about what do you like most about IT. IT is a huge world you can find a lot of options/markets to work with, by example, you have enterprise related field, entertainment field, security field, etc.

Once you have identified which part of IT world do you like the most, it's time to explore the options around that, by example if you dream with working in the videogames industry, make some research about where you can get the required tools to be successful in that field, make some questions like:

- What are my strengths
- Can I get the knowledge in my country
- Where can I work (which companies)
- Am I thinking on working for a big company or am I thinking on an entrepreneurship.

Explore various field and make some research about IT trends, the world is evolving really fast and new trends and needs are there every day.

@BMCcares @careervillage BMCCares MLKdayofservice

Aquiles recommends the following next steps:

Identify which part of IT world do you like the most and start researching about it.
Thank you for taking the time to help. André V.
0

Maite’s Answer

First of all, depending on the country, it is advisable to choose either the technology or science option in high school.

Check in the universities of your country, the career options that are available to work in IT, at least in my country is not limited to make a computer engineering, you can study for example mathematics, physics, industrial engineer...... and once started the career specialize in technology.

In my case I started mathematics and in the third year I chose computer science as my major and I have spent my entire career in IT in different positions, traineee with generalist training in operating systems, systems management, programming, databases, ..... in engineering with product localization , managing medium and large systems, projects, consulting, support, sales....

Keep in mind that once you finish your degree and apply for a position, they will also give you complementary training to what you have done in college/university.

Maybe it l helps you as a next step:

1. Consult in your country the studies that can allow you to specialize in IT. Computer science, engineering, mathematics, physics ....
2. Take a look at job postings and see what degree is required.
3. Discuss it with professors who have knowledge or interest in IT and can put you in contact with other students who have followed this path or can give you contacts in a university.
4. Be restless, do free webinars (e.g. coursera), read and study trying to identify what you like the most in case you are not clear about it, as you may discover areas that you did not know about with IT applications, biotechnology, etc.
Just by asking, it is clear that you have concerns. Cheer up and go for it, I hope it goes well, good luck ;)

Thank you for the advise. I live in south africa, the IT field is quite big. I finished school years ago, some university's require you to have mathematics and physics which I don't have. Is the bootcamp perhaps a good option? André V.
It is a fact that there is a shortage of professionals in the technology market. I believe that Bootcamp can be an option. What I am told is that it is important that you choose one with some credibility. In some countries there are other options, it is also useful to introduce you to IT, it is like a good training option and to find a job. For example in my country, there are certain personnel such as programmers and other IT areas, transport experts, in some health areas that do these studies and do not have the same requirements as for university entrance. Let me talk to a colleague I have in South Africa to see if there is an equivalent there and I'll get back to you. Maite Lopez-Linares
Wow thanks, that would be really helpful. Been researching everyday but I seem to get nowhere. Appreciate the help. André V.
I have not forgotten about you, I am trying to get help to answer you. ;) Maite Lopez-Linares
0

Brian’s Answer

Figure out what you like to do and what you are good at. For example, if you enjoy network administration you might look into CCNA certification or get an associates or bachelor's degree. If you enjoy writing code find a language and then find a program that will begin to teach you that language. Once you have enough knowledge in an area get your first job. This is going to be one of the toughest parts and you may need to settle for less money to gain experience. Once you have a couple of years experience behind you a lot more opportunities open up. Aside from that I would definitely make sure you find what you decide to get into interesting since you are going to be doing it for a while and changing your mind about that get's more difficult as you get older.
Thank you, Brian! André V.
0

Uwe’s Answer

Hi André,

overall IT is a big area and the possibilities are so manifold that you should be open to anything.
Just to tell you my story, I studied electrical engineering and wanted to become a software developer after my graduation. However, I ended up in becoming a 1 level support engineer for my first job and it was the best that could happen to me as I discovered my passion to work with people.

If you want to start a career in IT, play around with everything that you can get into your fingers. Do not only listen to videos on YouTube etc. but get your hands on the systems or the software. Keep yourself up to date.
In parallel, if possible, a graduation is of course very helpful but from my experience, also in that area listen to your heard and check what inspires you. At the end of the day, you don't need to have a graduate in computer science. I hired people that graduated in mathematics, physics or even psychology. BTW graduation overall is not a requirement. If you love IT I am sure you will find a job.

I wish you good luck.
0

Cody’s Answer

Identify the area of "IT" that interests you most. It's a wide topic. Once you identify an area you are passionate about, reach out to experts in the area and figure out what the job landscape looks like. Resources like Reddit are great for connecting to experts in the area.
This was super helpful, thank you! André V.
0

First, recognize that IT has many dimensions. So one of your beginning starting points is to identify what facet of IT you want to be a part of. Second, once you lock in on what exactly you want to do, then you should format your CV with the ability to customize it to be agreeable to any opportunity you identify. Third, I identify the companies you want to be a part of and direct your efforts toward gaining an IT position with them. In addition, identify forums and industry groups in the IT field. These entities may have insight into employment opportunities that you have interest in.
Thank you for the insight, I appreciate it André V.
0

Yves’s Answer

Hi Andre,

I think you got great input already!
Do you have a passion for IT in terms you want to use or talk about it every day and feeling joy doing so? What exactly is it what excites you about it? The devices, apps or the service itself which is made possible by IT? If you have the answers for this you get an idea where to start. E.g. if it is for devices/hardware then you might research how it is done that you see the letter "A" on your screen after you pushed the button on your keyboard. Sound easy but there a lot of steps to make this work. Same for an app. First there is "problem" to be solved and it needs to be taken apart into steps which need to be translated into computer language. Follow your passion and be curios how things are working in the background. With this knowledge you will be in high demand in todays job market! Good luck!
Loved reading this, thanks! André V.
0

Frank Widjaja’s Answer

IT is very popular field.
Assuming you are still a student, I would start by exploring internship.
There are also a lot of free materials on YouTube to educate yourself.
You rock! This advice is very helpful. André V.
0

Jeff’s Answer

Hi Andre!

I just made the jump into the IT field as a Technical Support engineer with a SaaS company from a previous career as an acupuncturist. I knew nothing about the career field, and found that joining meet-up (now mostly virtual) groups of people in the field was a great place to find people who are willing to lend their experience. Next, I asked about and scheduled some informational interviews and got some great guidance into certifications that would improve my job search chances. There is a LOT of great resources out there (Udemy, aCloudGuru etc) that don't cost that much per year or have sales frequently for courses!

Best of luck on your job search!
Thank you, this is really helpful. André V.
0

D S’s Answer

There are multiple career paths in IT. Like development, QA, Documentation, Support. operations etc. You need to decide which one you like.
If you are a computer science student, you can start exploring internship programs with software companies.
If you are not a computer science student, you can start doing courses and get certified. You can leverage online platforms like Coursera and Udemy. It is very important to have good fundamentals.
Thank you! André V.
0

Pete’s Answer

Some of the most talented and successful IT professionals I've worked with didn't start in IT. While I would recommend beginning in IT if this is your career path, it's important to note that you can be equally successful in an entry level position for another company and demonstrating to your peers and leadership that you are a subject matter expert in this field. This could also give you an opportunity to talk with other IT professionals in the company to determine what part of IT interests you the most, if you don't already have that in mind. Best of luck!
Thank you so much for the advice. André V.
0

Andrew’s Answer

Hi Andre,
Like many responders to your question, IT is indeed a very broad term.

What about IT interests you? Do you like to take apart computers and see how they work? Do you like to write programming code and create your own software? Are you interested with cybersecurity and solving complex problems? Are you fascinated by numbers and therefore analytics would be of interest to you?

Sit down with someone you know and discuss what interests you about IT. See if your school has a career councillor where you can get some advice on courses you could take that would help you identify your interests further.

Andrew recommends the following next steps:

Create a LinkedIn profile if you don't have one already
Reach out to professionals in roles you are interested in and request 20 mins to learn more about their role
Consider writing a career questionnaire to see which types of jobs would align to your interests. You may be surprised with the results.
Thanks for your encouragement! André V.
0

Angela’s Answer

Hello! I spent 5 years working as an IT recruiter and worked with a lot of people who are new to the job market/looking to work in the IT industry. I highly recommend you consider different online programs or "bootcamps" that are offered by different colleges and companies. These "bootcamps" last for several weeks or months and are made for people who are driven to excel quickly in the field. A lot of companies these days are hiring people with less experience, who come from these bootcamps because they want to grow their teams with people who are highly motivated, recently trained and passionate about growing their careers. Being a part of these is also a great way to meet people and network. You'll also likely meet a mentor or someone that can help support you as you kick off this journey. Good luck!
Thank you for the help, appreciate it. Thank you for the insight, helps alot to know I'm going on the right path. André V.
0