Ena W.

2441

71

Do you think project management and information system is good major?

Now i am finance undergraduate, i find the master program which i think interesting. I hope to work in TMT group of investment banking. #stem

There are two important factors to consider. One is the job which will will give you a sense of accomplishment, is challenging enough and matches with your long term career goals. Second factor is the demand of the skill set in job market. Project Management and Information Systems definitely meets the requirement to the second factor. There are a variety of jobs in this area in all different kinds of industries. I see that you are already thinking of investment banking. Good choice! This industry is very rewarding.

Last updated May 10 '17 at 13:25

Hi Ena,

Yes, it's great to have a job that you're interested in, but it's also important to ensure your career has flexibility and longevity in a changing market.

The two you've paired here, project management and information systems is a really strong career path (especially with a finance background to add on.) The great thing about it is actually the diversity of job opportunities you'd be qualified for as well as the vast industries you'd be able to work in. These skills would allow you to stay in finance or really go to any industry that relies on information systems (which now is literally all of them; fashion, sports, construction, health, IT, finance, housing, etc.)

I myself am biased with a background in project management, but mostly because it's served me very well and it's a great fit for who I am. I love running projects because they're unique and I get to work with really smart, diverse sets of people I'd otherwise never be able to meet and learn from. Also, all industries run projects to improve and grow to the next level, so there's always a demand for people who understand how to start and finish a goal.

Last updated May 18 '17 at 13:30

Hi Ena!

The main question is if this is a good career area for you to pursue. iI is important to find out what career areas match with your interests, personality, and aptitudes.

Completing these exercises will be a good first step to getting to know yourself: https://www.themuse.com/advice/14-free-personality-tests-thatll-help-you-figure-yourself-out

A good next step is to get more information about those interest areas identified in the above exercises and learning how one might possibly prepare for them with the possibility of experiencing fulfillment and satisfaction. Selecting a career area is like buying a pair of shoes. They may look great, but you need to try them on and walk in them for a while to determine the proper level of comfort and fit. The most frustrating times I spent when I was doing college recruiting were the times when a graduate, once on the job, determined that he/she did not like the job for which he/she had studied, as he/she did not take the time or effort to do appropriate "shoe shopping" and pay attention to their feelings of "comfort or discomfort".

Here are some good ways to get some great information and career exposure: - talk to your school counselor about participating in coop, intern, shadowing, and volunteer programs that will allow you to see what people do, how they got there, what advice they have, and how you feel about it. - talk to the head of alumni relations at your school to arrange to talk to graduates working in your area of interest to learn more from them - as many people get their start at a community college, talk to the head of alumni relations at your local community college to arrange to talk to graduates in your area of interest to see what they are doing and see how they got there - talk to the head of alumni relations of any training program or facility related to your areas of interest to get valuable information from graduates and create valuable relationships.

Many different career and work areas require different types of education. Some can be prepared for during the last two years of high school. Some can be prepared for with some type of training or schooling or college after high school. Some can be prepared for by joining the military and benefitting from their training and educational financial assistance following your enlistment. By doing the exploration as outlined above, you will develop a sense of what is required to reach fulfillment in your career area. By doing the exploration as outlined above, you will develop a sense of how it will feel to be involved in such an area. Let your feelings be your guide.

As I have mentioned, and as you have come to realize, many different career and work areas require different paths through the training and education process, which is based upon your individual choice. Here is a very important video to watch as it highlights the importance of your personal choice: http://www.ted.com/talks/julie_lythcott_haims_how_to_raise_successful_kids_without_over_parenting?utm_campaign=social&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_content=talk&utm_term=education

To get more information about your career and work areas of interest, here are some good tips: http://www.wikihow.com/Network https://www.themuse.com/advice/nonawkward-ways-to-start-and-end-networking-conversations https://www.themuse.com/advice/4-questions-to-ask-your-network-besides-can-you-get-me-a-job?ref=carousel-slide-1

Best of luck! Be true to yourself. Let me know if this is of help.

Last updated Apr 01 '17 at 17:25

Schools Add a school