If you hold a DMD can you become a dental hygienist?

Asked Kissimmee, Florida

Im a senior in high school and was interested in the dental field. Im aware to become a general dentist it takes about 8 years minimum as to become a dental hygienist it takes 2 years minimum. I had planned on getting my DMD degree at a university in Nevada, US in a matter of 4 years. Is it possible to use my DMD degree and become a dental hygienist for a period of time rather than graduating and heading to dental school to become a general dentist? #dentistry #dentist #dental-hygienist #dental

Steven’s Answer

Updated New York, New York

I don't understand. A DMD degree is a degree qualifying to be licensed as a dentist. As a practical matter, the DMD and the DDS are equivalent. Now, there WAS a guy in my graduating class who had been a dental hygienist and decided to go back to school for his DDS, and as a hygienist he had a big leg up on the rest of us.

Cheryl’s Answer

Let me see if I can answer this. Agreed with Dr. Bornfield; a DMD is equivalent to a DDS so therefore you could "practice as a hygienist" per say but that is alot of schooling to practice as a dental hygienist. It would be a 4 yr undergrad BS degree then 4 yrs for your DMD/DDS if I'm correct