how would I build my own furniture making business?
My dream is to build my own company to build homes and shelters for people who cannot afford such as being homeless or who cannot find housing.
However, in addition, I would suggest:
- Research any grant funding you may aspire to qualify for once you start your nonprofit
- Educate yourself on what it takes to construct homes and/or furniture, so you have an understanding of how it works and the related costs
- Make sure you understand how business overall works - e.g., taking college courses, etc.
- Ensure you have at least a basic understanding of nonprofit accounting - e.g., how it essentially works, financial statements, etc.
- Ensure you have a basic understanding of marketing, websites, social media, and the like - this will be essential for fundraising
I hope that helps you out!
Building a business is challenging in all sorts of ways, and an idea like this (likely non-profit) will come with its own unique challenges. I suspect one of those main challenges is going to be funding, how will your business stay afloat and keep things rolling forward without a client being able to pay for your services directly? Branding and maintaining funding is going to be a huge boon because you will then be able to focus on your mission and your work. If you don't think that side of the business is really up your alley, it's important to know that others are out there who like to partner up to accomplish things like this, so don't be afraid to TALK about your idea to others and get a feel for potential partner to get it going!