What do I do with my degree?!

Asked Austin, Texas

I am a recent graduate with a Master of Arts degree in Forensic Psychology and have NO idea what the next step is. I have considered juvenile probation, but I think my end goal is to work for the FBI's Behavioral Science Unit. I just want to know what types of careers people with this degree usually pursue and what I am qualified for, having just graduated with no job experience or licensure.

#forensic-psychology #masters-degree #masters-in-psychology #behavioral-counseling

Ld’s Answer

Updated Midland, Texas
Hi Britany, What an interesting field! I'm retired Navy, and had the opportunity to work alongside a former FBI officer for several months on one deployment, and understanding a tiny bit about your field I can see several possibilities. First, have you sought out employment with the local police department? Austin may have opportunities, but you could also try other major cities. Second, you might consider becoming a police officer, but you might not get the chance right away to put your degree to use (not sure). Third, you might consider going to law school. Lawyers fill multiple roles, not just in the courtroom, and forensic psychology would be an excellent knowledge base to have. Next, you might consider other Federal Government agencies, such as the CIA, DIA or NSA, or possibly just even going into the military itself (specifically, that would be useful in the job of "intelligence officer," which would require you to go to Officer Candidate School for 3 months, and not go the "enlisted" route). I applaud you on this chosen field. You have pursued an interest which can lead to valuable service to your community and potentially your country. I hope this has sparked a few ideas for you; best of luck!

Hope’s Answer

Your college/school can be a good starting place for your career. Many times employers will post job opportunities for recent graduates with a college's career service, especially if that school offers a particular course of study. You might also consider contacting one of your professors/instructors, maybe one who taught a course you found particularly interesting to see if they can give you some guidance. Since you are a recent graduate looking to get some experience at this point in your career, don't worry too much about how a position fits in to your larger goals. Any experience in your field is valuable and a chance to learn, and may lead to opportunities you never thought of. Good luck!

Kevin M.’s Answer

Sounds like an exciting life you have in front of you... Do you know any FBI Agents? Have you gone to your local FBI office and discussed with them what the process might be or any potential openings? That's where I would start and would possibly look at local PD's for the same. Good luck!