Donjawine C.

91

3

What is some good advice about staying focused in college?

I am senior in high school and I want to major in nursing. I just wanted some advice about time management and how to keep my mind focused. I want to be successful in life but I have poor time management skills. What are some ways you managed your time? #registered-nurses #nursing #college #time-management

<span style="background-color: transparent;">You have to set a routine for yourself and stick to it for the most part. Once you get into the groove of a routine it will be much easier for you to manage your time and have enough time for everything you need to do (including relaxing). Make yourself to-do lists on a weekly basis, use Google calendar or a planner to keep track of events, deadlines, and due dates. In addition to setting a routine and sticking to it, plan out relaxing activities into your day. Or set aside a time, after everything is done for the day, that you can have "me" time. I have also personally found it essential to not only find time for myself but also make use of that time in a way that is best for me and my holistic wellness. I have found the HeadSpace app to be an essential tool in helping me relax and generally feel more relaxed throughout the day, Guided meditation, even if you have a busy schedule, will make you feel more at ease and relaxed throughout the day as a whole (not just when you have the time to relax and focus on that "me" time).</span>

<span style="background-color: transparent;">Set a routine.Use Google Calendar.Set aside Me TimeWrite weekly to-do lists and use a planner.Find a peaceful and restful activity that will help you feel relaxed.</span>

Last updated Mar 03 at 15:42

Hello Donjawine, Nice to meet you. Everyone struggles with staying focused, doing things we don't want to do, and managing our time wisely. I can offer a few tips, hope they are helpful to you. 1. Put yourself in an environment which helps you to focus. If you get distracted too easily by the TV because you are trying to do your homework in the same room as a TV, then go study at the library. If your phone is a distraction, turn it off. If noises distract you, wear ear plugs. 2. Break big tasks down into small tasks. Every project in life, work, or school, has many smaller parts to it. If studying for 1 large exam is too overwhelming - plan to tackle 1 chapter a night for the week prior to the exam. There is a saying which goes "the journey of 1,000 miles begins with 1 step." 3. Give yourself a small reward every time you complete a task. For example, set a goal of completing your homework tonight, and once completed allow yourself to eat a treat, play a game, or watch a TV show. 4. Give yourself a small punishment every time you don't complete a task. For example, give a friend $1 and tell her to hold on to it until you complete your college admission essay (or maybe even tell her she gets to keep it if you fail to complete it by the end of the day!). 5. Take 30 minutes out of your day to exercise, or go outside and take a walk. Exercise is linked to a healthy mind. 6. Think about you being successful - picture in your mind you accomplishing your goals, taking the test and doing well, studying and really understanding everything you read, graduating from college, making your family proud, helping others in the hospital, living in a nice apartment - think about what it will feel like to do well and achieve your dreams. There is much power in positive thinking and visualizing your future success. A quote from Henry Ford, "Whether you think you can, or whether you think you can't - you're right." Best of luck on your journey.
Last updated Sep 25 '17 at 19:50

Hi Donjawine, What has helped me greatly in the past is the use of calendars. If you have trouble organizing yourself, use the google calendar to plan out your day, hour by hour. You can color code your tasks differentiating the school work (i.e. homework) from personal activities (i.e. working out). As Mark suggested, it's essential to split your big tasks into smaller ones that you can complete in a reasonable timeline (i.e. studying Chapter 1 versus studying for test).
Last updated Nov 10 '17 at 13:14

Schools Add a school