HELP!!! How do I stay focused in a class that I am not interested in?

Updated Minnetonka, Minnesota

I have to take generals that I am not interested in at all. I want to get a good grade and I do want to learn something new. I just can't get the motivation to stay focus during the class. #focus #boringclass #interested #personal-development

Dwayne’s Answer

Updated Denver, Colorado
Great question! I've been in the software field for >25 years and know that there will always be topics throughout college and your career that are uninteresting, but important to your bigger goals. I've crafted a few ways to drive interest where I'd otherwise have little or no interest: - Relate it to my life: No matter the topic, I found that I could relate any topic to my personal life *somehow*. Example - as an engineer, English was not of much interest. However, I realized that if I could improve in this area, it would greatly improve my ability to write a resume or deliver a presentation. That was very important to me in order to get a job, so it changed the purpose of the course to something personal. - Individual goal: Sometimes I would make personal goals that once I accomplished XYZ in a topic/course, I would give myself a personal reward like buying a computer game. This allowed me to keep thinking about what I would obtain if I got through a certain set of tasks (eg writing a paper). - Gamify it: Many people thrive on competition. Setup a competition with other classmates such as who obtains the best score on the next test, the winner gets bought dinner or something by the others. - Brute force: Yup, sometimes all you can do is pound through it. But the other options are more fun! Hang in there!