What is your experience inside of or around investment banking?

Asked Hudsonville, Michigan

Heavily considering a life on Wall Street and have been researching the benefits and the costs. Would love to hear your perspective, big or small!

#finance #investment-banking #investment-management

Garrett’s Answer

Updated Columbia, South Carolina
Hi Zach, One of my closest friends is an investment banker in Cleveland, OH, from what he tells me: 1) The hours suck, he's working 10-12 hours per day minimum 2) The pay sucks, while he is making more than I am, his implicit hourly rate is lower than mine 3) If you stick with it long enough and are performing at a high level, you will be compensated for it with higher salary and better hours. --- it is getting there is the trick Hope this helps.

TJ’s Answer

Updated New York, New York
Hi Zach, I'm not an investment banker but I heavily considered it upon graduating from college. I would highly recommend tracking down and reading the book "Vault Guide to Investment Banking" - it gives a very comprehensive overview of what the job entails and whether it may be a good fit for you. As Garrett mentioned above, hours are very long and pay is very high. TJ