Skip to main content
2 answers
Asked 933 views Translate

what kind of degrees do you have to have in order to be a c.p.s ( child pret. services)

i always wanted a job dealing with social service. I have always been thinking about joing the c.p.s since 5th grade. this has always been my #1 choice. #social #services

+25 Karma if successful
From: You
To: Friend
Subject: Career question for you


2 answers

Updated Translate

Daniela’s Answer

Hi Jessica,

A 4-year degree in social work is required to work in government Child Protective Services agencies, and some states may require licensure as well. Licensure usually includes passing an exam and earning several thousand hours of supervised clinical experience. Some workers go on to earn their master's degree in social work.

Step 1: Earn a Bachelor's Degree in Social Work
Most child protective services workers begin their careers by earning a bachelor's degree in social work. Such degree programs typically offer courses that teach prospective social workers how to interview clients, assess their needs and formulate potential solutions for the problems they face. Other skills learned may include crisis intervention, case management, community outreach, community organizing, research and advocacy. These degree programs generally combine theoretical knowledge with practical application.

Step 2: Gain Employment in a Child Protective Services Agency
Some entry-level social workers are able to attain positions in child protective services immediately after college if they have completed an internship or other fieldwork program. Many child protective service agencies provide extensive on-the-job training to new social workers and a support base from co-workers in the field. New child protective services workers visit homes to assess potential problems and provide either counseling or intervention as necessary.

Step 3: Consider an Advanced Degree
A Master of Social Work (MSW) is a requirement for child social workers looking to become child protective service supervisors or child services clinical practitioners or to enter social work mid-career. Master's programs can take 2-4 years to complete, either full or part time, and they do not require a specialized bachelor's degree in social work.


In the link below, you can read about the curriculum subjects that are part of the training course in CPS worker:

Good luck and good studies!

Updated Translate

Gary’s Answer

You have a great answer above...I will add that any courses or degrees that you get in Sociology, Psychology, Human Services or even Child Development will be good for a social work career was well.
Good luck!