How much will being a girl in physics help me in the college process?

Updated Rochester, New York

I know we're only about 20% of the field, but I'm wondering what the advantage will be with regard to undergrad admissions.

#college-admissions #college #college #physics

Christos’s Answer

Updated Los Angeles, California
Hi Abby, Firstly I would like to congratulate you on your decision to pursue physics in higher education. It is true that being a woman in the sciences is quite difficult. There are a myriad of societal and familial pressures and reasons why it's more challenging for a woman to pursue science. However, with regards to undergrad admissions consideration I'm not sure that it plays a huge role. I guess if part of your identity that you want to present to the school (in your cover letter for example) has a part of it that includes how your gender created adversity that you overcame, or how you looked up to a female physicist or something similar your gender might play a role. Your academic performance and extracurricular activities will inform most of the admission staff's decision making.