Ashley H.

719

15

What is the difference between getting a B.A. and a B.Sc.?

So, I am majoring in the sciences and have been debating between getting BA and a BS. There are only about three classes that differ between them, there is mostly more of a math element to the BS. However, I was wondering if there is actually a true difference, and if graduate schools or employers prefer one to the other? Thank you!
#undergrad #graduate-school #college #college-major

Depends on the employer, I suppose. A B.A. tends to be more focused on providing a "well-rounded" education. This means taking a lot of classes that have less to do with your major and more to do with making you a more open-minded or educated person (such as history classes, language arts, and religion). A B.S. is more focused on what you want to do and your classes will have to do with building skills in that area, whether it's math, English, or engineering. So you come across as someone with less background in the humanities but with more of a defined skillset. If an employer is more interested in someone who can perform a task, a B.S. would work in your favor. If they're more interested in your character, then they might be more impressed with a B.A. As far as I know, the same stigma that follows GEDs, Associate's Degrees, and Certification in a trade does not follow a B.S. You went to school for four years, and they'll notice that. There's nothing wrong with either and you're getting an education no matter what. I'm getting a B.A. Doesn't mean I think it's better, it just works better for who I am and what I want to do. Hope this helps.
Last updated Dec 07 '17 at 10:16

1 comment

Schools Add a school