What are the different types of jobs an English to Spanish Translator/Interpreter can have?

4

I'd like to know what types of information (and words) its common for Spanish Translators to use, and which ones are the most fun environments to be in! #spanish #translation

4

Raffaella’s Answer

0

Hi Kayla B., as an English into Spanish translator, if you enjoy computers, video games, and if in general you are comfortable with technology, you may find fun to work in software localization (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internationalization_and_localization), to do software testing for high-tech companies for instance, they always need linguists to test their new apps. I am originally a translator French, English into Italian specialized in legal and financial translation, but when I started working at a financial software company 20+ years ago I discovered that localization was more fun than anything I did until then :-)

See also:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_localization

https://medium.com/@nikolaybondarenko_41585/how-video-game-localization-works-and-how-much-it-costs-in-2018-664e2748a121

0

Dawn’s Answer

0
You might think that these professions go hand-in-hand, but they are actually quite different from one another. The biggest difference is that a translator deals with written language, while an interpreter works with spoken language. Both require the professional to be familiar not only with the language, but with the context of what is going on during the exchange.

Most interpreters will need to research the content of what is being exchanged before showing up to the job. This is because it requires on-the-spot interpretation of what is going on. A translator needs to also have a strong writing background in both languages. An interpreter might perform their job in person, over the phone or internet, but a translator will mostly work independently of others to complete their job.

Here are a few career options that you can investigate:

Simultaneous Interpreter
Literary Translator
Localization Translator
Medical Translator
Judiciary Translator

0

JENNA’s Answer

0
Like everything, it depends! Some translators work with text documents, and some are verbal, working with people in real or delayed time. You usually translate into your native language. If you have a specialty, like law or medicine, you are translating different texts than if you have marketing or general information. The types of documents you are translating will affect the vocabulary you use, but verbs are ALWAYS important, so conjugating exercises are important to master if this is a direction you want to go. Hopefully, if this is a career path you choose, it will be fun (at least most of the time), no matter what environment you are in.
0

Gabriela’s Answer

0
Each field within translation and interpretation has its own specialized vocabulary so I wouldn't say there are necessarily words that are common in general but there are certainly words that are common in each field. As for the most fun environments, I would second that localization is very fun as well as anything that involves word play or puns. Those are the times you most get to test your brain and figure out equivalents that convey the same or a similar message.
0